Welcome to Fisher Island (zip code 33109), a 216-acre man-made private island three miles off the coast of Miami, only accessible by boat. It’s known for its high security and white sand beaches. Only 700 families live on the island. An equity membership at the beach club alone costs $250,000, and the average annual income is $2.2 million.
Notable residents past and president include Oprah, Mel Brooks, and tennis star Boris Becker. There are also many international residents.
Follow Ladders on Flipboard!
This is according to Bloomberg’s annual look at the country’s richest zip codes, and it’s Fisher Island’s second year in a row as number one on the list. The list is determined by evaluating zip codes with at least 200 tax returns, as of the 2016 filing season, and 500 housing units per the latest Census survey, to extract the 300 zip codes with the highest average adjusted gross income. More than 22,000 zip codes met the criteria to be ranked.
Measuring zip codes, a relatively small area, is a way of finding areas of high income.
- California and New York each had 23 zip codes in the Top 100.
- New York City’s Tribeca (10007) jumped 17 spots to number 5. The annual income of New York’s lower west side neighborhood is $879,000.
The 100 richest zip codes
You might also enjoy…
- New neuroscience reveals 4 rituals that will make you happy
- Strangers know your social class in the first seven words you say, study finds
- 10 lessons from Benjamin Franklin’s daily schedule that will double your productivity
- The worst mistakes you can make in an interview, according to 12 CEOs
- 10 habits of mentally strong people