Let’s face it. You’re here because you want to learn ways to make money on the side in 2020. Maybe you’re fed up with your day job, you can’t stand the corporate politics. Or perhaps you want to be your own boss or work from home so you can spend more time with the family.
Whatever your reasons are for wanting to make money on the side this year, they’re all legit. Over the past year, I’ve learned so much about online business and making money from home that it’s become a true passion of mine.
Whether you’re an introvert or a social butterfly, online business and side hustles are a great way to make money, and I’m going to share 76 legitimate ways to make money on the side in 2020.
Here are 76 Ways to make money on the side this year
Ideas for making money online
I’ve tried so many different side hustles in my 36 years of life, but my all-time favorite is online business.Making money online seems like an unattainable dream to many. My mother-in-law still, to this day, doesn’t “get it”. She doesn’t understand how I make money online.
And that’s okay. People are skeptical, but making money online is actually very attainable if you’re willing to put in the work. Make no mistake…this is not a get-rich-quick scheme. Online business should be treated as a true, ride-or-die business that you pour your heart and soul into in order to make it work.
I love being able to make money online because it allows me the freedom to work from home or while traveling, vacationing, and yes…even in my pj’s. Every morning, I check my balance to see how much I’ve made overnight (while sleeping, y’all.) If online business is your jam, and you’re interested in making money online, here are some options:
- Start a Money-Making Blog – The best thing I’ve ever done was launching my blog. For the past 11 years, I’ve been wanting to start blogging but I allowed fear to hold me back until January 2018 when I launchedMelissaBlevins.com. I’ve only been blogging for a year, and this month alone I earned more than I did the entire first year of blogging! You can learn how to start a blog here with my easy-to-follow tutorial. It only costs a few bucks per month, and when you sign up for hosting using my guide, you’ll get a free domain (plus I share how to get cash back on your hosting). Click here to learn more and start your blog.
- Use Pinterest to Make Money Through Affiliate Marketing – My friend Elise teaches how you can get started with affiliate marketing with no blog. Her ebook How to Make your First Affiliate Sale in 24 Hourscan help you. It’s not quite as easy to make money through affiliate marketing if you don’t have a blog, but it is possible.
- Start a YouTube Channel – I think just about everyone should be utilizing YouTube to grow their online business.Last April, I uploaded a video about Why I Quit Beachbody Coaching, and it has received over 122,000 views and is my top source of YouTube ad revenue. I’m currently sitting with just under 1700 subscribers, and I’m earning over $200 per month (mostly from that video). You can get started with your cell phone, editing with iMovie and later upgrade to better equipment. I use the Canon t6i video creator kit for my videos and thislighting kit from Amazon. But if you don’t start now, you are missing out on valuable time that you need to grow your channel so you can start monetizing it.
- Become a Facebook Ads Specialist – My good friend Robert learned of this side hustle after he took a course on how to run Facebook ads for local businesses. He then started reaching out to local real estate offices and is now working with Realtors to create ads for their listings. It has turned into one of the most lucrative ways to make money on the side. He makes well over $2,000 per month as a Facebook ads specialist.
- Start an Amazon FBA Private Label Business – Amazon offers an FBA service, also known as “fulfillment by Amazon”. I’m unfamiliar with the specifics of Amazon FBA, but my friend Peter has written about it extensively here. It has been a great way for him to make money online.
- Become a Survey Junkie – If you’re trying to find ways to make extra money while you watch Marie Kondo on Netflix, answering surveys might be the answer. Survey Junkie and Swagbucks are two great ones I recommend. The key is to actively participate in as many surveys and polls as possible. You can even get freebies in addition to making money online. Get $10 bonus cash for signing up for Swagbucks through my link.
- Start an eCommerce Site & Sell Your Goods – Etsy, eBay, Craigslist, and now Facebook marketplace are great places online where you can sell your handmade goods. Buyers are willing to pay top dollar for unique, handmade items, and the internet makes it easier than ever to make money online selling your products. If you’re crafty, a Cricut maker can earn you thousands per month when you sell your tumblers, wine glasses, wall decor, and other items.
- Make Money Online Teaching English – Teachers are finding it harder and harder to receive fair pay and decent benefits. Contracts are being drawn out. Schools are taking away raises for teachers with advanced degrees. Our education system in America has become a bit of a nightmare. If you’re looking to use your teaching degree to work from home, check out VIP Kid.
- Create an Online Course That Helps Others – In the past year, I’ve invested in a few different online courses. At some point, I’d like to put together a course to help women get started blogging (an SEO and Pinterest Playbook of sorts). Some bloggers making bank by selling online courses are Michelle at Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing and Ruth at Elite Blog Academy. I’ve personally invested in both of these courses and feel that they are worth the investment if you want to save yourself months of researching, implementing, and making mistakes along the way. These two women offer a guide to making money online, and I don’t believe I’d be where I am today if it weren’t for their courses.
- Create and Sell an ebook – Elise at House of Brazen did just that when she created this affordable ebook to teach you how to make your first affiliate sale in 24 hours. She made over $30,000 the first year after launching that ebook and continues to sell copies to this day! This is also on my to-do list.
- Become a Pinterest VA – There is a lot of opportunity to manage other bloggers’ Pinterest accounts. The reason bloggers hire VA’s is so that they can free up time to create more content. It’s quite a lot of work creating pins that grab readers’ attention and scheduling pins. You’ll need a professional Tailwind account, but you can make good money by becoming a Pinterest VA. Just be sure you don’t undervalue yourself if you do go this route.
- Sell Your Services on Fiverr or Upwork – Are you great at creating graphics or music intros for YouTube channels? Even something so simple as enabling Rich Pins for bloggers is a service offered for sale on Fiverrand Upwork. Create a listing and offer your services.
- Use ebates for Purchases – Not only do you receive cash back for buying through ebates, but you can also refer friends and family and earn $25 for each person who uses your link and makes a purchase! When you sign up using my link, you’ll get $10 bonus cash back on your first purchase! I recommend everyone who wants to start a blog to use my link for ebates first, then my link for Bluehost after you’ve installed the ebates browser extension on your Chrome toolbar. As my buddy Michael says, “Explain it to me like I’m a second grader”. Ok…read my post on How to Start a Blog and I share exactly how to save $20 on hosting through ebates.
- Get Paid to Browse the Internet – Install the Swagbucks button to your toolbar, and it’ll automatically notify you when there’s money-making opportunities.
- Become a Freelance Writer or Ghost Writer – Make money online by writing for other bloggers. Some bloggers wish to publish every single day to their blogs, but writing quality content can be a struggle every single day. So many outsource the writing to qualified staff writers. That’s where you come in and can make some serious cheddar!
- Become an Influencer – If you have a good social media following that’s highly engaged in your content, you should consider becoming an influencer. Izea and TapInfluence are a couple of networks that connect influencers with brands for collaboration.
- Dropship Tees and Merch – Another one of the many ways to make money on the side in 2020 is to start a merchandise dropshipping business with a Shopify store or woo commerce website. You design the products, place images and shopping carts on your site, and Shopify does the rest, fulfilling and delivering the orders to your customers. Irwin Dominguez earned 1 million dollars in just 8 months after launching his e-commerce website.
- Sell your Coaching Services – This one I am sharing cautiously. There are a lot of self-proclaimed “experts” in the blogosphere selling their coaching services for tens of thousands of dollars. Don’t be that guy. But if you can help people and charge a fair price for the services provided, go for it!
- Twitch – If you’re a gamer, you can try to develop a following on Twitch, and you can monetize using Patreon.
Create a Part-Time (or Full-Time) Business as Ways to Make Money on the Side
- Start a pressure-washing business – This is a cool one and you don’t even have to have a pressure washer. Bear with me for a minute. There is a product available at Amazon that you hook to a water hose, and it gives you the same results as a pressure washer! It removes that yucky green mildew and leaves it good as new! If buying a pressure washer is out of budget right now, start with a couple of bottles of Mold Armour and go door-to-door, asking neighbors if you can wash their house for a price. You’ll be surprised how many will be happy to pay you to do it!
- Stain or paint porches or concrete – Buy a couple of gallons of a neutral color, and again, go door to door and ask if you can stain porches.
- Put your photography skills to use – My Mom has a knack for photography but not your typical family photo shoots. Mom is really great at capturing action sports photography. If you have the same talents, print business cards and take photos of local sporting events. Then offer your card to parents at the games with a specific code to reveal photos for purchase within 48 hours.
- Pet Sitting/Dog Walking – Rover is an app that connects owners with pet sitters. Sign up for a free account using my link and get $20 off when you hire a sitter/walker or start your own pet sitting/dog walking business!
- Babysitting/Child Care Services
- Food Delivery Services
- Referee or Umpire Local Sports Games
- Mail Delivery Seasonal Work (UPS, USPS, FedEx)
- Start a Landscaping Business – Or simply mow some lawns and shovel some driveways.
- Become an Airbnb Host – Rent a room in your home or your vacation home on Airbnb as a way to make money on the side.
- House Sit – Got coworkers traveling out of town? Offer to housesit while they’re out of town. Water the plants, feed the cats, etc. You can make up to $25 per day.
- Become a Pet Groomer – Are your pooches always looking dapper? Offer your services as a pet groomer and turn it into a solid way to make money on the side.
- Start a Cooking Class – Catering to couples, you could offer date nights teaching couples how to cook a romantic meal together. Special licenses will be required. Be sure to check with your local municipalities for any health code requirements, too!
- Become a Professional Organizer – Marie Kondo has taken the world by storm with her new Netflix seriesTidying Up with Marie Kondo, where she teaches people how to declutter and only keep items that spark joy.I swear my teenager could be a professional organizer. She loves going through items and making rooms and closets functional. Right now is the perfect time to capitalize on KonMari, the life-changing magic of tidying up!
This article originally appeared on Melissa Blevins.
You might also enjoy…
- New neuroscience reveals 4 rituals that will make you happy
- Strangers know your social class in the first seven words you say, study finds
- 10 lessons from Benjamin Franklin’s daily schedule that will double your productivity
- The worst mistakes you can make in an interview, according to 12 CEOs
- 10 habits of mentally strong people