As London Fashion Week comes to a close, a myriad of trends have emerged both looking forward to spring 2020 and, of course, the street style that appeared off the runway but now we have the official colors that will rule the next 12 months. Pantone, the global authority on color and provider of professional color standards for the design industries, has released the Pantone Fashion Color Trend Report Spring/Summer 2020 edition.
So which colors of the rainbow will you be seeing everywhere? “Combining our desire for stability, creativity, and more spontaneous design approaches, the color palette for Spring/Summer 2020 infuses heritage and tradition with a colorful youthful update that creates strong multi-colored combinations as well as energizing and optimistic pairings,” said Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute in a company statement. So that desire has translated into the following colors:
Pantone’s Spring-Summer 2020 Colors and their meanings
- Flame Scarlet: Red always exudes power but sometimes it can be negative but this one, in particular, is great for confidence and determination (and is especially good for women.)
- Saffron: Pungent Saffron adds a flavorful brilliance to the palette.
- Classic Blue: Wearing this color shows that you are open to possibilities.
- Biscay Green: This preppy shade of green is associated with cleansing waters, and will make you feel refreshed. “It’s one of those I-wanna-go-away, stop-the-world-I-want-to get off colors. When people see it in the marketplace, their hand reaches out for it. And it evokes vacation thoughts,” said Eiseman.
- Chive: Yes, it sounds more like something you would eat than wear but Chive provides a healthy and restorative attitude.
- Faded Denim: If you want to feel relaxed and laid-back go for this shade of blue.
- Orange Peel: Another one that feels more like food (it is literally the color of Cheetos orange) but orange arouses great energy when you wear it.
- Mosaic Blue: The teal shade is the one to go with if you want to project an air of mystery and seem profound.
- Sunlight: Just like the sun, this color invokes happiness and will actually make you smile more. Louis Vuitton and Carolina Herrera both featured the colors on their runways.
- Coral Pink: The 2019 Pantone color of the year will make you feel warm.
- Cinnamon Stick: This earthy color just screams fall.
- Grape Compote: A delicious dessert and also a great color as the color purple is often associated with very creative or eccentric types but it is also heavily linked to royalty (it was the color of the Ceasars and let’s not forget it was Prince’s, musical royalty, signature color.)
Many fashion industry insiders have been seen sporting these colors, at New York and London Fashion Weeks (Rebecca Minkoff was a fan), with an emphasis on Flame Scarlet. It is considered to be a part of the whole female empowerment movement we are seeing in fashion right now with puffy sleeves, laid back boxy suits and statement belts. Pantone’s Eiseman told WWD, “Obviously, red always gives a voice to women.” The First Lady of France, Bridgette Macron recently wore the color as did the new it-power woman of music, Lizzo at MTV VMA Awards.
However, men should not be discouraged from wearing the color or any of the colors on the list as well. “We are less apt today to talk about, ‘Oh, that’s a girly color, female color or male color.’ If a color speaks to you, you love it and it appeals to you — then go for it. Regardless of gender, we shouldn’t be putting labels on colors,” Eiseman said.