You would think some of the fancier job titles would be the ones seeing the biggest increases in wages, but according to Glassdoor’s latest ranking of jobs showing the fastest wage gains over the past year, it is job positions in lower-skill, lower-paying fields that are seeing the most growth. Andrew Chamberlain, chief economist of Glassdoor said: “Today’s strong labor market may be starting to improve pay across the income spectrum.”He also noted, “April’s pay gains are the fastest we’ve seen in 2018 so far.
However, it’s still below the 2-3% pace seen in recent years, according to the latest real-time salary data shared by millions of Americans on Glassdoor.”
Out of 84 job titles, here are the Top 10 jobs with the fastest year-over-year growth in median base pay for full-time employees:
- Financial Advisor: $55,296 (up 6.4%)
- Bank Teller: $30,066 (up 5.5%)
- Attorney: $101,817 (up 4.7%)
- Truck Driver: $53,878 (up 4.5%)
- Delivery Driver: $38,955 (up 4.4%)
- Web Developer: $65,414 (up 3.9%)
- Network Engineer: $71,433 (up 3.6%)
- Cashier: $27,923 (up 3.4%)
- Web Designer: $51,875 (up 3.4%)
- Security Officer: $35,321 (up 3.3%)
As you can see the wage growth for lower paying positions like cashier and delivery driver saw very healthy increases. Financial advisor managed to stay in the top spot as those positions require a lot of communication and people skills which is harder to automate, according to the report.
Looking for an inspiring way to start your day? Sign up for Morning Motivation!
It’s our friendly Facebook robot that will send you a quick note every weekday morning to help you start strong. Sign up here by clicking Get Started!
As for jobs with the least amount of wage growth here’s what took last place:
- Professor: $86,166 (down 3.3%)
- Communications Manager: $65,882 (down 2.5%)
- Quality Engineer: $71,467 (down 1.5%)
- Bartender: $31,668 (down 1.4%)
- Maintenance Worker: $39,907 (down 1.4%)
- Research Assistant: $30,391 (down 1.2%)
- Technician: $45,318 (down 1.1%)
- UX Designer: $76,003 (down 0.9%)
- Project Manager: $73,575 (down 0.6%)
- Consultant: $72,120 (down 0.6%)
The decrease in pay for professors shows the financially unfortunate state of higher education institutions in this country.
Glassdoor collected this data using their Know Your Worth tool which incorporates millions of salaries directly from U.S. workers by Glassdoor and applies a proprietary machine-learning algorithm to estimate near-real-time trends in local pay for 10 U.S. metros and the nation as a whole.