So what is exactly is going on with the stock market?
USA Today‘s Adam Shell gives us 7 Reasons the Stock Market is So Volatile, including
“Fear is driving much of the selling, mainly fear of more substantial losses to come,” says Todd Harrison, author of The Other Side of Wall Street.
2. Uncertainty about the banking situation in Europe.
3 . Lack of faith in Washington
“After the debt-ceiling debacle in Washington and the inability of lawmakers to come up with solutions to the nation’s debt problems, investors have lost faith in the ability of leaders to lead,” writes Shell.
These are just some of the reasons that this past week has been an economical roller coaster. Read the rest of Adam Shell’s USA Today article for the complete list.
How Does the Economy Affect My Job Search?
While we can’t say for sure – it all depends on what your industry is — salary negotiation expert Jack Chapman advises in his column on Ladders Career Advice section ” You’re not negotiating with the economy, you’re dealing with a hiring decision maker who needs you.”
And while it certainly is a different world this decade, if you’ve made it to the salary negotiation part of the interview process you hold the bargaining chip. You!
While the stock market might be all over the place right now, your job search and salary negotiation can still stay steady.
More from Ladders
- How to make Fridays more fun in the summer, even if you can’t leave work early
- Study: An orange a day keeps the bad vision at bay
- These are the 10 most stressed cities in the U.S.
- The economy is so strong, job seekers are ghosting employers
- Survey: This is the best city for buying your first house in 2018