Whether you need some extra income to supplement your nine-to-five job, or you are interested in switching to a fully remote work life, learning how to make money from home can be a rewarding experience. And, if you are interested in working from home, you’re not alone. Data shows that the number of people working from home has grown by 159% since 2009.
However, while the number of people working from home is increasing, the competition for landing a remote job is also on the rise. If you want to learn how to make money from home, check out our comprehensive guide to finding stay-at-home jobs that may fit your needs.
Assess your skills
There are countless ways to make money working from home. Which opportunity is right for you will depend a lot on your skills, although entry level work from home jobs do exist. The first thing to do when searching for work from home jobs is to take the time to determine where you have experience, skills, and educational background. This can help you sift through working from home opportunities to find ones that match your skills.
To assess your skills, sit down and write out all of the following information:
- Any degrees you hold and where you earned them
- Previous work experience with details about your responsibilities and accomplishments
- Technical skills you have, such as proficiency in specific software or with a specific platform
- Certifications you hold
This information should mirror what you have in your up-to-date resume. Listing out all of your relevant skills and background can help you focus your search for ways to make money at home.
Compare the types of working from home jobs
There is a wide variety of types of working from home jobs available today. Different styles of jobs will have different requirements, compensation, and expectations.
Side hustles from home
In some cases, a work-from-home opportunity might be considered a side hustle or gig work. For these remote jobs, you’ll usually be a contractor rather than a full-time employee. They often provide the most flexibility, as you can set your own hours and take on the work you want. A few examples of side hustle work from home jobs include freelance writing, video editing, coding, or transcription work.
Some work-from-home jobs are advertised as remote positions. These jobs are essentially the same as what would have previously been an in-office role but are offered by companies that have transitioned to a remote workforce. There are a vast number of remote positions available as more companies begin to allow office work to be handled from home utilizing virtual technology.
Work from home jobs – no experience or entry-level
Sometimes you’ll see jobs advertised specifically for those without experience in a field. These jobs usually state “no experience necessary” or “entry-level position” in the ad. They are a great fit for people who are just stepping out into the professional world. Common work-from-home positions that don’t require experience include sales jobs or customer service positions.
Jobs for stay-at-home moms and dads
Often, those who are raising children are looking for a way to make an income while still caring for kids in the home. Jobs for stay-at-home moms or dads can be anything from a traditional office job done remotely to running an in-home daycare.
Self-employment or freelance work
In some cases, you can make money working from home by launching your own business or working for yourself. Selling products through an ecommerce store, taking on freelance work, or holding contract positions are all excellent ways to earn money without being beholden to a traditional employer.
Search for options
When you search for ways to make money at home, the key is to make sure you are looking at legitimate work from home jobs. To eliminate jobs that are not legitimate, look for these common signs of scams:
- The position requires you to spend your own money on materials and training
- You are required to purchase products to join, such as with pyramid schemes and multi-level marketing (MLM) positions
- The position asks you to do something unethical, such as leave fake reviews
As you look for ways to make money from home, you can use job boards to look for remote positions, create your own business, or sign up as a freelancer on platforms that will connect you with potential clients.
Free resources – put your best foot forward
If you plan to apply for a job that allows you to work from home, take the following steps to make sure you are putting your best foot forward:
- Polish your resume: Make sure your resume is up-to-date and free of errors. If you need help, check out our Resume Guide, which includes access to a free resume rewrite.
- Write a cover letter: When you submit an application, if possible, include a cover letter. To learn more about writing quality cover letters, check out our Cover Letters Resources.
- Practice interview questions: Before your first interview, take the time to practice answering common questions with a family member or friend. To prepare for the most common interview questions, use our helpful Interview Tips.
Frequently asked questions about work from home jobs
As you explore the wide array of working from home opportunities, check out the following helpful information answering the most common questions about making money at home.
What are the benefits of making money from home?
Making money from home allows you more flexibility than an office position. For many, this makes it easier to strike a better work-life balance. By working from home, you can cut out commute times and even continue to raise kids or care for family members.
Is working from home right for me?
While working from home does allow for a large amount of flexibility and comfort, it isn’t the perfect fit for everyone. As you consider your options, ask yourself the following:
- Do I have the self-discipline to work from home? In many cases, working on your own will require you to set your own hours, hold yourself accountable, and stay motivated without the oversight of a boss. If this is something you struggle with, working from home might be a challenge.
- Do I enjoy spending time alone? Unlike working in a retail or office setting, when you work from home, you might be spending large amounts of time alone. If you thrive in a team environment, working from home might not be a good fit. However, many remote positions still allow you to work on a virtual team. Using technology, you can combat the isolation of working at home.
- Do I have the time and space to accomplish my work? Working at home requires you to be able to dedicate at least a portion of your day to focus on your work. Having your own office space and setting aside time away from your at-home responsibilities will help you be more successful.
Are there examples of ways to make money from home?
The following are all common examples of work from home opportunities:
- Sales consultant
- Customer service representative
- Virtual assistant
- Data entry specialist
- Freelance writer
- Social media manager
- SEO specialist
- Product reviewer
- Travel agent
- In-home daycare provider
- In-home pet sitter
- Virtual receptionist
- Ecommerce store owner
- Software QA
- UX designer
- Course instructor