Most of us have had some extra time while we practice social distancing due to the coronavirus outbreak. While some people are throwing themselves into online educational classes, some are obsessed with online workout classes, and others have been busy in the kitchen.
A new trend for those busy in the kitchen is “fluffy coffee”, an easy-to-make caffinated drink that yield extremely Instagram-able results. We’re here to let you know exactly what this coffee is, where the trend came from, and how you can make it at home.
What is fluffy coffee?
The two-tone beverage trend, which originated in South Korea, is simply a concoction of milk, instant coffee, and sugar. It’s that simple. But during a time when no one has vacation pictures to post, this drink is taking over Instagram feeds.
In South Korea, the drink is called “dalgona coffee,” paying tribute to the country’s popular honeycomb candy of the same name. In America, however, it has been dubbed “fluffy coffee” based on the fluffy top portion of the drink.
View this post on Instagram
the newest internet sensation: fluffy coffee! I had to try my shot at it, but without any instant espresso and a failed batch of strong brewed drip coffee, I turned to my nespresso. duh. sometimes ya don’t think straight without coffee 🤪 all it is is a brewed double shot and 2 Tbls table sugar whipped on high in my stand mixer for 3 minutes! then poured over ice and almond milk! sooooo goooood! #whippedcoffee #fluffycoffee #coffee
How do you make fluffy coffee?
While this looks like a fancy drink that you might find at an Italian café, this drink is actually surprisingly easy to make, and you probably already have all of the ingredients at home.
Here are the six steps to making fluffy coffee:
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil.
- While the water boils, mix instant coffee and sugar in a bowl.
- When the water comes to a boil, add two tablespoons of hot water to the coffee and sugar mix. Whisk the ingredients together or use a hand mixer to whip the combination until it is light and frothy.
- Fill a glass with ice and add milk.
- Top the glass of milk with the fluffy coffee mix.
- Stir the mix into the milk, and then enjoy your coffee.
- 1 tablespoons of instant coffee
- 1 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoons of very hot water
- 1 glass of milk