Do you have a taste for the sweet science behind candymaking? How cool would it be to get behind-the-scenes in the business of confections – just like Willy Wonka, except without the part where Violet turns into a blueberry? Apply for a paid internship at Mars Wrigley Confectionary, the makers of M+Ms, Skittles, Twix, Snickers, and Orbit gum.
Mars Wrigley seeks a self-starting social-media maven with a passion for improving their community and possessing top-notch writing and communication skills (journalism or creative content skills welcomed, but not required) for an internship focused on helping the company give back.
Follow Ladders on Flipboard!
The internship will give one intern the opportunity to work closely with Mars Wrigley Foundation leadership, corporate affairs, and community engagement teams. The program will culminate in a Mars Volunteer Program event at the end of the summer.
The experience will be chockful of opportunities to learn of every side of the business, from behind-the-scenes visits to manufacturing sites and sampling candy, gum and chocolate that hasn’t reached the public yet to creating your own flavor of chewing gum in R&D labs. There’s also the business of giving back locally: leading volunteers to increase oral care access in underserved communities, restoring local gardens, and beautifying the Chicago River.
The internships runs 8-12 weeks, and not only is it “fully paid,” but as a bonus, you get a year’s worth of free candy on top of that. You’ll work out of the company’s headquarters on Goose Island in Chicago.
As it turns out, there are a few qualifications – entry is more than just winning the golden ticket.
- High school graduate or equivalent; college degree preferred
- At least 21 years old as of May 20, 2019
- Committed to effecting change in the community; previous experience in running programs or events preferred
- A strong entrepreneur and self-starter, preferably someone who isn’t afraid to ring every doorbell in every neighborhood on Halloween
- Candy knowledge: able to distinguish between the chocolate used in SNICKERS® vs. M&M’S®; name all five fruity flavors from the Skittles rainbow; and prove they can keep a potted peppermint plant alive for at least eight weeks
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Well-developed organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects and priorities at once
- Photo/video editing and production skills
- Active and knowledgeable across social media platforms
- Experience in journalism and/or creative content development preferred but not required
- Interest in traveling to Chicagoland Mars Wrigley Confectionery offices, manufacturing sites and media events during standard business hours
You might also enjoy…
- New neuroscience reveals 4 rituals that will make you happy
- Strangers know your social class in the first seven words you say, study finds
- 10 lessons from Benjamin Franklin’s daily schedule that will double your productivity
- The worst mistakes you can make in an interview, according to 12 CEOs
- 10 habits of mentally strong people