The U.S. Open celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2018, with some of the toughest athletes taking the court and going for it all. If you played sports as a kid, then you may be able to relate to the mental and physical challenges they face every day. Whether they’ve battled injuries, won against all odds or lost with dignity, there’s so much inspiration to embrace from these 2018 U.S. Open stars. Here are seven quotes from top tennis players taking the court in 2018 that will inspire you to ace your own career.
1. “There’s no way around hard work. Embrace it.” — Roger Federer
Regardless of whether you’re applying for jobs, climbing that proverbial ladder at the office or proving to your boss that you deserve that promotion, navigating your career is hard work. But don’t be discouraged by those challenging projects, difficult conversations or long hours. Instead, embrace every experience and learn from it. You’ll only come out stronger.
2. “The success of every woman should be the inspiration to another. We should raise each other up. Make sure you’re very courageous; be extremely kind, and above all else, be humble.” — Serena Williams
We can all get ahead faster in our careers if we support, rather than compete, with those around us. You never know who will remember the time you taught them a new skill that helped them get that raise. There’s always the chance a colleague or even a lower level employee could one day be the person hiring you. It’s about time we all had each others’ backs.
3. “I don’t go to practice every day to practice. I go to practice to learn something.” — Rafael Nadal
Whether you love your current job or not, there are learning opportunities all around us every day. Go to the office with an open mind and aim to learn something new. From asking more questions to shadowing someone in a different department, there are ways we can expand our skillset every day at work. Don’t miss out on all of these chances to grow.
4. “I’m not thinking, ‘How many matches am I going to lose?’ I’m thinking, ‘How many matches am I going to win?’ ” — Novak Djokovic
A positive mindset can be the factor that truly helps you achieve your goals. Get rid of doubt and envision yourself killing it in the interview or moving up to marketing manager. Changing the way you think could change your life.
5. “Realizing you’re the only competition that matters evokes confidence.” — Maria Sharapova
You’re your only competition in your career. It doesn’t matter what the other job candidate did in college or if he or she has an MBA. All that matters is that you are confident in your abilities every day. Challenge yourself to be the best you can be. You’re always going to be competing against yourself, so let it fuel your success.
6. “You have to believe in yourself when no one else does — that makes you a winner right there.” — Venus Williams
Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t be successful in your career. The only person whose opinion matters is your own. Believe in yourself and you’ll be able to achieve anything you put your mind to.
7. “Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Stan Wawrinka
Don’t stop trying. So you didn’t hear back about that one job application (or five), were laid off from work or made $0 with your side hustle. So what? It doesn’t mean you won’t ever succeed. Keep working and keep risking it all. After all, you can’t really enjoy success if you’ve never failed.