So-called old-fashioned forms of workplace communication like face-to-face contact and phone calls – even email – will decline as conversations shift to a myriad of digital platforms, according to the new Human Capital Trends report from Deloitte, the world’s largest consulting firm.
The communications channels predicted to see an increase in the next 3-5 years are:
- 70% increase in online collaboration platforms
- 67% increase in work-based social media
- 62% increase in instant messaging (like Slack)
Meanwhile, the types of communication predicted to see the biggest decline are:
- 44% decrease in face-to-face meetings
- 30% decrease in phone and voicemail
- 20% decrease in email
Whether online hyperconnectivity and its various platforms and programs will actually increase productivity, however, will remain to be seen.