Sending rejection slips after interviews is good for a company’s image, study finds

When job-seekers don’t hear back after an interview, it can be frustrating. A new study shows that companies have an incentive to let them know either way.

TraditionalThe latest generation of job seekers has been trained to expect radio silence after their job interview, often not even receiving a simple email rejection – even if they’ve had to perform a battery of take-home tasks or tests as part of the process.

According to a new report by Phenom People, a talent relationship marketing platform, 98% of Fortune 500 companies don’t get back to candidates who have interviewed –  leaving just 2% that communicate the candidate’s status throughout the duration of the entire process.

That’s not good, especially in a “candidate’s market,” where unemployment was at a low 3.8% in May of 2018, and job-seekers are pickier about where they’ll work and enhancing candidate experience important for companies.

The study also showed that 60% of job seekers have had a bad experience, which could be interpreted for some as lack of communication after a round of interviews. 72% of those 60% share their dissatisfaction on various employee review sites.

That’s where things can get tricky: 83% of job seekers research a company’s online reviews before applying to a job at that company, according to the study.

Closing the loop on the interview process: it’s not just polite, but it’s good for your brand.