We’re still over a year away from the Presidential election, but we are already seeing commercials and news reports related to a national or local candidate.
Regardless of your political beliefs, running for office is very similar to running a job search, and there’s a lot we can learn from our politicians regarding how to act while campaigning. In today’s economy, skill and experience alone don’t guarantee a job – you need to be likeable. As a job candidate, you need to evaluate your own image and communication skills. Tailor your approach with prospective employers to win their votes, and ultimately, the job offer.
Here are 5 simple tips to help you run your job search like you’re running for office:
More from Ladders
- 4 steps to becoming a powerhouse public speaker
- Chronic procrastination: 5 weird (but effective) ways you can conquer it
- The lessons most new grads have to learn in their first jobs
- Eight great tricks for reading people’s body language
- How to keep going and find your breakthrough when it feels impossible