If the job hunt has you feeling burned out and reaching for chocolate just to get through the day, have I got news for you. Tony’s Chocolonely, a Fairtrade and B-Corp certified chocolate brand, based in Portland, Oregon is on the hunt for a modern-day Willie Wonkas in the form of a Chocotruck Captain and two Co-Pilots to lead its 10-city Chocotour.
In case you’re wondering, the Chocotruck is actually a thing. And through February 12, 2019, chocolate lovers will have the chance to apply to go on an epic road trip on Tony’s Chocolonely’s first-ever Chocotruck Tour across 10 US cities, beginning at SXSW in Austin on March 8th.
Sure there will be big fun as the Chocotruck Captain and two Choco Co-Pilots will have the chance to tour the country and scarf down endless amounts of chocolate while enjoying perks like very competitive salary, monthly massages, weekly yoga, generous per diems and great accommodations, but there’s also a serious component to the job as well.
The brand was founded with a mission to end modern slavery and exploitation in the cocoa industry. Since 2005, Tony’s Chocolonely has been fighting for slave-free chocolate. They buy the cocoa beans directly from partner cooperatives in Ghana and Ivory Coast and work closely with them to ensure traceability and fair payments.
It’s a four-month-long gig that will allow one captain and two co-pilots to crisscross the country, meet people, spread a message and mission of positivity and build crazy fun job skills along the way. Best yet, if you hit it off with the team, you can apply for full-time employment depending on what jobs are available.
It’s not all fun and games (and chocolate) though; taking a four-month-long gig could just be the perfect professional palate refresher if you’re tired of applying for the same type of jobs or want to take a sabbatical from your current hustle. It’s also a perfect way to try an entirely different career path on for size. Interested in the food industry? Curious about hospitality or hitting the road with a mission? This might be for you.
Wondering about the skills you’ll need to apply? You’ll need a passion for chocolate and people, a fun-loving spirit and a sense of adventure, not to mention flexibility and a solid sense of humor.
Key responsibilities include:
- Help hire, train and manage 2 Choco Co-Pilots (brand ambassadors). You’re in charge of making sure the team stays happy and healthy.
- Delegate tasks during set-up and tear down.
- Engage with choco fans and make sure they’re having a good time and experiencing the interactive elements of the truck.
- Work with the Marketing Manager to capture content per the social strategy brief and submit photos in real time.
- Work autonomously to solve problems that you may encounter on the road.
- Be the point person for activation partners and venues to ensure all production needs (power, water, parking, location, etc.) are met.
- Maintain drivers log books and vehicle inspections/maintenance. Safety and compliance are top priorities!
- Manage travel between stops – book hotels, rental cars, and vehicle parking storage.
- Maintain and repair tour assets (tents, collateral, vehicles, equipment). Source equipment as needed.
- Ensure proper branding is maintained at all times.
- Create high-quality event reports and recaps and submit to the Marketing Manager in a timely fashion.
- Provide feedback on tour staff.
- Provide end of tour wrap up reports as requested.
Oh, the places you’ll go. Stops on the road trip include:
- Austin, TX where you’ll kick things off at SXSW
- Phoenix, AZ
- San Diego, CA
- Los Angeles, CA
- San Francisco, CA
- Berkeley, CA
- Eugene, OR
- Portland, OR
- Seattle, WA
- Chicago, IL
Meanwhile, even if being captain of a Chocotruck isn’t in your future, maybe it’s time to think about jobs that will make you smile when you describe them. If your current job makes you cringe more often than feel good about yourself, this could be the perfect catalyst to start looking for something else entirely.