While we recommended ramping up your job-search efforts during the summer months, we know that many of you still took time off to enjoy the beaches and give yourself a break from the stressful job search.
Now that the kids are back in school and autumn is officially here, it’s time to focus on your job goals and recommit to the search!
Here are three tips to help you get back into the job-search groove this fall:
Go school shopping
- Just like your children need supplies to get them ready for school, you also need the right tools to be ready for your job search.
- If your interview outfit could use an update, take advantage of back-to-school and Columbus Day sales to get something that fits you well and makes you feel good about yourself. Make sure your portfolio or briefcase is in good shape to transport your items to and from interviews in style.
- Invest in a professionally-written resume to make you 40% more likely to land the job you want.
Find your routine
- For many, summer is the time when regular schedules are thrown out the door in favor of Summer Fridays and fun activities – if you took a break from your search, now’s the time to get back on track!
- Take out your calendar and block off time each and every week to dedicate to job-search activities.
- Ideally you should spend anywhere from 15 to 40 hours per week (depending on your employment status) on job applications and follow-up, social and professional networking activities, and recruiter outreach and engagement.
Reconnect with classmates
- Use the back-to-school season as an excuse to reconnect with people you haven’t seen since swim lessons and vacations took over the calendar. Check in with your professional and social groups and RSVP to their upcoming meetings and events.
- Use your university’s homecoming weekend or other alumni events to network.
- Make a point to introduce yourself to the parents on your child’s soccer team and say hello at back-to-school night. These mere acquaintances may turn out to be valuable connections during your search.
Use these tips and your search will be gaining momentum in no time!