Job interview questions can run the gamut, but a lot of them are pretty easy to expect. In fact, you’d be dumb to go into an interview and NOT expect to hear things like what are your strengths and weaknesses, why are you applying to this job, tell me about yourself, give me an example of a challenge you’ve overcome, etc. etc.
Every so often though, an interviewer will throw you for a loop with an oddball question that you probably would have never expected to hear. Here are some examples of the odd/weird/unusual interview questions that have actually been asked during an interview, some of which literally made us go WTF?:
1. You’re walking alone in a forest and come to a clearing. In the middle of the clearing is a tree stump with three puzzles on it: a Rubik’s Cube, a sudoku grid, and a crossword. You have to solve one of them. Which do you choose, and why? – Nicholas Bratton, Global Exploration and Recovery
2. If you could live on any planet besides Earth, which one would it be? – Lauren McAdams, Resume Companion
3. Why is a pot hole round? – Angela Zade, Evus Technologies
4. How would you solve this problem: how many golf balls fit in an airplane? – Vladimir Gendelman, Company Folders
5. Describe your personality as a flavor of ice cream. – Holly Wolf, SOLO Laboratories, Inc.
6. Approximately how many passenger bags go through JFK airport in a single day? – James Rice, Wikijob
7. If you found a penguin in the refrigerator (points to our office fridge), what would you do? – Stephanie Troiano, The Hire Talent
8. How do you organize your sock drawer? – Nick D’Urso, The Nutritional Source
9. If you had to pick a type of tree to be, what tree would it be and why? – Nick D’Urso, The Nutritional Source
10. If there are two types of people in the world, what are they, and which one are you? – Christina Wong, Badger Maps
11. So, How about them Pterodactyls? – Nandhaan Verma, Matrid Technologies
12. What is a quarter of a half? – Bob Bentz, Advanced Telecom Services
13. How would you rate your baking skills? – Rebecca Hosley, Insureon
14. What makes you weird? – Mary Hannah Burwell, Questis Financial Wellness
15. If you were driving in your new two seater sports car in the rain and pass a bus stop with three significant people – who do you give a ride? – anonymous applicant review, iCentris Inc
16. Did you know that it costs $7 million to hire someone in this position? – anonymous applicant review, Securitas AB
17. What superpower would you like? – anonymous applicant review, UPS
18. If the company was having a potluck, what would you bring? – anonymous applicant review, Woodland Park Care Center
19. How would you handle a situation where you had too many Chiefs and not enough Indians? – anonymous applicant review, UnitedHealth Group
20. Do you have secrets? What am I going to find out about you if I go digging? – anonymous applicant review, Allstar Health Care
21. How will you transform the society for the betterment of all? – anonymous applicant review, Synergism, Inc.
You have to admit it takes originality to come up with some of these questions. And in the end, wouldn’t you rather have an interesting interview than a boring cookie-cutter one with the same old questions? We know what we’d prefer.