The Kennedy Krieger Institute is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) tax-exempt, Johns Hopkins affiliate located in Baltimore, Maryland that provides inpatient and outpatient medical care, community services, and school based programs for children and adolescents with learning disabilities, as well as disorders of the brain, spinal cord, and musculoskeletal system. The Institute provides services for children with developmental concerns mild to severe, and is involved in research into various disorders, including new interventions and earlier diagnosis. Kennedy Krieger Institute opened its doors in 1937 when Winthrop Phelps, M.D., an orthopedic surgeon from Baltimore, responded to a dire need for treatment for individuals with cerebral palsy. Dr. Phelps founded the Childrens Rehabilitation Institute, the first treatment facility in the country dedicated solely to children with cerebral palsy. The Institute was renamed the Kennedy Institute in 1968 in memory of President John F. Kennedy who enacted the Medical Training Act during his administration, to protect the rights and improve the lives of persons with disabilities. In 1992, the name was changed again to Kennedy Krieger to honor original board member and long-time supporter, Zanvyl Krieger. Since it opened, Kennedy Krieger Institute has evolved into an international resource for children with diverse brain-related disorders, from mild learning disabilities to rare genetic disorders. Kennedy Krieger provides medical care and schooling, in addition to its involvement in research.
Highest paying job titles at Kennedy Krieger Institute include Medical Director, Psychologist, and Communications Director