Updated February 15, 2016
- Information We Collect
- How We Use The Information We Collect
- Disclosure of Personal Information
- Use of "Cookies" and Other Tracking Technologies.
- Third-Party Ad Networks
- Customer Reviews and User Generated Content
- How To Access and Update Your Personal Information
- Newsletters and Communications from Us
- Third Party Websites
- Contact Us
Information We Collect
We may collect information about you directly from you and from third party sources, as well as automatically through your use of our Site and Services.
Information We Collect Directly From Jobseekers
We collect information from you when you register for or use our Services including: name, email address, photograph, zip code, current or past employers, dates of employment and income information as well as other information that you submit as part of your profile or that may be useful in helping us to match you with job opportunities. We also collect and store information about your use of the Site and Services, such as jobs you've applied to, jobs you've viewed, the resumes you've posted, and similar information.
Information We Collect Directly From Recruiters or Employers
We collect information from you when you register for or use our Services, including name, email address, photograph, zip code, company name, as well as other information that you submit as part of your profile or job posting that may be useful in helping us to match you with candidates for your available jobs. We may also collect information such as your searches, clicks, views, and other actions taken on the Site.
If you make a purchase on our Site, we will collect and store your credit card number and other payment information, which we will use only to process your payments.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We may also collect information about you from other publicly available sources, which we may combine with the other Personal Information we have collected about you.
Information We Collect Automatically
We track clickstream data and other data to monitor utilization and to improve customer experience. We use this information to help diagnose problems with our server, administer our Site, analyze trends, track users' movement on our Site, gather broad demographic information for aggregate use in order for us to improve the Site and our Services, and to deliver customized, personalized content. We also may track and use your location information to customize information that we provide to you. We may use this information in the aggregate. We also may combine this information with Personal Information that we have collected about you.
We automatically collect the following information about your use of our Site through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies: your domain name; browser type and operating system; web pages you view; links you click; searches, including search terms, your IP address; the length of time you visit our Site and use our Services; the referring URL, or the website that led you to our Site and other actions that you may take on our Site.
How We Use The Information We Collect
We retain and use the information we collect about you for the following reasons:
- To provide our Services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Services, to respond to your inquiries, to fulfill your orders, process your payments and for other customer service purposes.
- If you are a jobseeker, to share with recruiters and employers. If you are a recruiter, to share with jobseekers.
- If you are a recruiter, to index and display your profile information through third party search engines.
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization, and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Site or Services.
- To understand how users access and use our Site and Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Site and Services and respond to user desires and preferences.
- To personalize content and recommendations, and to send marketing and other promotional information, including information about jobs and other products and services in which we think you may be interested.
- We may also use aggregate or de-identified information about users for other marketing, research and other purposes.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We do not sell or rent your Personal Information to third parties so that those third parties can market their own products or services to you. We may, however, disclose the information we collect about you, including your Personal Information, as follows:
- Service Providers. We may share Personal Information with our contractors and service providers who perform functions on our behalf. For example, we use third parties to provide credit card processing services on our Site, and we will disclose your credit card and billing information to such third parties so that they may process your payment on our behalf.
- Legal Process. We also may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a subpoena.
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if all or substantially all of our business (or a line of business) or assets (or the assets of a line of our business) are acquired by a third party, Personal Information of TheLadders.com users will generally be one of the transferred business assets. We also may transfer your Personal Information in the event of a bankruptcy or reorganization.
- De-identified Information We Share with Other Job Seekers. We may share certain anonymous or de-identified information about you-such as your job title, educational history, years of experience, areas of expertise, salary range and other jobs you have applied to-with other job seekers, but your name and contact information will not be disclosed in such instances.
- Aggregate Information. We may also share other aggregate or de-identified information about users with third parties for marketing, advertising, research or similar purposes.
Use of "Cookies" and Other Tracking Technologies.
Third Party Cookies. We may also engage third parties to track and analyze Site data. We use the data collected by such third parties to help us administer and improve the quality of the Site and to analyze Site usage. Such third parties may combine the information that we provide about you with other information that they have collected. This Policy does not cover such third parties' use of the data.
Disabling Cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The "Help" portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. If you disable cookies, however, our Site will not function properly.
Clear GIFs. We and our third party service providers and third party advertising partner(s) may clear gifs (a.k.a. pixel tags/Web Beacons/Web Bugs). Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of website users. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user's computer hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on webpages and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. We may use clear GIFs, in connection with our Site, to among other things, track the activities of Site visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about Site usage. We may tie the information gathered by clear gifs to our customers' Personal Information. We and our third party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML e-mails to our users, to help us track e-mail response rates, identify when our e-mails are viewed, and track whether our e-mails are forwarded.
Local Storage Objects. We may use Flash Local Storage Objects ("Flash LSOs") to store your Site preferences and to personalize your visit. Flash LSOs are different from browser cookies because of the amount and type of data stored. Typically, you cannot control, delete, or disable the acceptance of Flash LSOs through your web browser. For more information on Flash LSOs, or to learn how to manage your settings for Flash LSOs, go to the Adobe Flash Player Help Page, choose "Global Storage Settings Panel" and follow the instructions. To see the Flash LSOs currently on your computer, choose "Website Storage Settings Panel" and follow the instructions to review and, if you choose, to delete any specific Flash LSO.
Third Party Analytics. We use automated devices and applications, such as Google Analytics, to evaluate usage of our Site and, to the extent permitted, our Application. We also may use other analytic means to evaluate our Services. We use these tools to help us improve our Services, performance and user experiences. We do not share your personal information with these third parties.
Third-Party Ad Networks
You may opt-out of many third-party ad networks, including those operated by members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI") and the Digital Advertising Alliance ("DAA"). For more information regarding this practice by NAI members and DAA members, and your choices regarding having this information used by these companies, including how to opt-out of third-party ad networks operated by NAI and DAA members, please visit their respective websites: www.networkadvertising.org/optout_nonppii.asp (NAI) and www.aboutads.info/choices (DAA).
Opting out of one or more NAI member or DAA member networks (many of which will be the same) only means that those members no longer will deliver targeted content or ads to you. It does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content or ads on our Site or other websites. You may continue to receive advertisements, for example, based on the particular website that you are viewing. Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you visit this opt-out page, or you later erase your cookies, use a different computer or change web browsers, your NAI or DAA opt-out may no longer be effective. Additional information is available on NAI's and DAA's respective websites.
Customer Reviews and User Generated Content
In some instances we may select and post customer reviews on our Site which may contain Personal Information such as the customer's name. We will obtain your consent to use your name, prior to posting the review. Also, in certain parts of the Site, we may invite you to post content on our Site, including your comments, pictures, and any other information that you would like to be available to other users or recruiters on our Site. If you post such content, it will be available to recruiters and other users of the Site. Your posting may also become public and TheLadders cannot prevent such information from being used in a manner that may violate this Policy, the law, or your personal privacy.
If you would like us to remove your name, review or other content from our Site, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Site for a period of time.
How To Access and Update Your Personal Information
If your Personal Information changes, or if you wish to cancel your account, you may do so by making the change on our member information page or by emailing our Customer Support team at email@example.com (to make a change) or firstname.lastname@example.org (to cancel). Please note that copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Site for a period of time.
Newsletters and Communications from Us
We may send newsletters or other promotional or informational emails to you. You may opt-out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the e-mail. You may also opt-out of any of our communications by changing your Account Settings. Please go to Account Settings and indicate from which distribution lists you would like to have your name removed. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt-out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you e-mails about your account or any Services you have requested or received from us.
If you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about our site, we will ask you for your friend's name and email address. We will automatically send your friend an email inviting him or her to visit the site. TheLadders.com stores this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email, tracking the success of our referral program, and following up with additional information if the friend has opted-in. Your friend may contact us at email@example.com to request that we remove this information from our database.
TheLadders.com has implemented and follows reasonable security measures to protect against unauthorized access to and unlawful interception or processing of Personal Information. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure. While we strive to protect your Personal Information, we cannot ensure or warranty the security of any such Personal Information.
Third Party Websites
Our Site may contain links to other websites. Please note that when you click on one of these links, you are entering another website over which TheLadders.com has no control and will bear no responsibility. Often these websites require you to enter your Personal Information as you apply for a job directly with the hiring company. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on all such websites as their policies may differ from ours.
RECENT HISTORICAL MODIFICATIONS:
Date Description of Material Modification
02/15/16 Update to the company address
05/21/14 Update for personalized display advertising with opt out link
03/07/14 Update for recruiter mobile application; recruiter profile searchable on third party search engines; disclosure and use of certain recruiter information
07/14/13 Update for mobile application, general reorganization and clarification changes
02/17/13 Use and disclosure of information collected for statistical features on the Site
08/12/11 Retention of information in "Information We Collect" section