Use this list of Web sites to purchase an interview-appropriate, professional wardrobe.
Loathe crowded malls and dressing rooms? Despise pushy sales associates even more? These are no longer excuses to avoid shopping for a few key pieces that will take your professional wardrobe up a notch. With retailers focused heavily on their e-commerce sites, you can shop from an even larger selection of styles and sizes from the comfort of your own home. I recommend ordering two sizes in each item so you can ensure fit and have only one round of returns. Below are my top online resources for modern professionals:
- Bananarepublic.com Originally a travel-themed clothing company, Banana Republic is now a go-to brand for high-quality, reasonably priced clothing for urban professionals. Its ready-to-wear collections focus on modern, figure-flattering shapes. Don’t miss Banana’s fashionable prints and great selection of shoes.
- Jcrew.com J. Crew is synonymous with classic style. The past few years the brand has revamped and is considered a leading style destination for gorgeous, perfectly preppy clothes. Sign up to receive its catalogue; it is a great resource for styling tips and tricks for making old basics look new again.
- Brooksbrothers.com As the oldest surviving men’s clothier in the U.S., Brooks Brothers must be doing something right. You can’t go wrong with its professional cuts and great fit. Invest in classic silhouettes here, but avoid a head-to-toe look.
- Josbank.com Targeted specifically at male professionals, Joseph A. Bank is a great suit resource no matter what your price range. With more than five different lines, they are sure to have one suitable for your wallet. Order online, but take advantage of the tailors the firm keeps on hand at all its store locations.
- Theory.com Spun out of a pair of great fitting pants, Theory is the ultimate destination for style in the workplace. It would be hard to be a frumpy exec wearing Theory. Its suits are impeccable; its style, spot on; and the fit, the most flattering I have found. When in doubt, wear Theory.