Manage daily yard and warehouse operations to minimize shrink, maximize productivity and optimize profitability while satisfying Customer and Yard needs. Provide customers with a shopping atmosphere that is well maintained, clean, organized and safe.
INTENT OF JOB DESCRIPTION AND MODIFICATION
This job description describes the duties and responsibilities, qualification requirements, physical demands, work environment, etc. for this job. Duties may be combined with other jobs or duties from other jobs depending upon operational circumstances. Management reserves the right to add, modify or end any of the duties contained in the job description as future business conditions warrant.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following are the essential duties and responsibilities of the Job. Other duties may be assigned. Performance Appraisal (PA) measurements are noted in brackets [___].
1. Provide Customer Service personally and through subordinates to contractors and professional builders to increase Customers and individual ticket amount. Take orders and resolve Customer complaints. [PA: Attain monthly average sales per Associate. Comply with the Company's Quality Customer Service (QCS) Standards.]
2. Monitor and assist in ordering inventory of merchandise in Departments 1-2. Take special orders as requested and obtain merchandise in most expedient manner, including interyard transfers. [PA: Attain average monthly gross profit per Associate and gross profit return on inventory goals.]
3. Oversee unloading of incoming merchandise. Verify truck ticket with purchase order to ensure that the correct merchandise is delivered. [PA: Inventory properly stated and valued.]
4. Hire, train, motivate, supervise and schedule yard personnel to meet staffing needs. Ensure compliance with Company policies and procedures. [PA: Budgeted staffing levels maintained. Associates obtain maximum productivity. Comply with the Company's Associate Training (AT) Standards.]
5. Schedule deliveries, pickups and returns. Ensure proper loading of merchandise on truck before departure. [PA: Drivers scheduled to meet customer delivery needs.]
6. Monitor truck and forklift maintenance and usage. [PA: Downtime and vehicle maintenance cost minimized.]
7. Assess yard layout and monitor yard maintenance and housekeeping. Ensure proper signage. [PA: Yard efficiently organized and maintained. Comply with the Company's Yard Maintenance (YM) Standards.]
8. Recognize and report safety and security concerns to General Manager. [PA: Minimize problems through compliance with Company safety and security policies and procedures.]
9. Open and close Yard/Store and fill in for General Manager and/or Store Operations Manager as required. [PA: Yard/Store opened/closed on a timely and consistent basis. Adequately fill in for other management jobs.]
10. Manage Associates, assets and inventory to achieve the Best Management Practices as outlined in the Management Bonus Program documents. [PA: Required number of Best Management Practices achieved.]
11. Ensure the required inspections and forms are completed to comply with the Corporate Fleet Maintenance Program. [PA: Minimize vehicle downtime and maintenance costs.]
12. Execute and log scheduled cycle counts. [PA: Accurate inventory counts.]
13. Attend and participate in all Company sponsored training programs as required. [PA: Satisfactory participation, retention and application of training program subjects.]
14. Perform any other duties, responsibilities or tasks as assigned. [PA: Efficient completion of assigned duty, responsibility or task.]
Manages 1 subordinate supervisor who supervises a total of 1-15 Associates in Yard Operations. Also directly supervises 2-3 other Associates. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit.Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training Associates; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining Associates; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
This job is key to the effective functioning of Yard and to the overall Company profitability in Departments 1-2. This job manages varying amounts of Annual Sales and Average Inventory according to the size of the Yard.
This job requires a strong leader and coach. The individual should have a good knowledge of point of sales systems, basic business accounting, safety and store security.
This job reports to the General Manager which reports to the District Manager. The other position reporting to the same supervisor is the Store Operations Manager. The position reporting to this job is Yard Foreman.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; and five to eight years related experience (three to five years in supervisory role); or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or Associates of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
A valid driver's license of the appropriate type and class issued by the state of residence to operate a Company vehicle (if assigned; temporarily or permanently) is required. Furthermore, the driver's record must be acceptable to the Company's insurance carrier and must conform to all restrictions listed on the license in order to operate any Company truck or vehicle.
Excellent interpersonal, communication, sales, Customer Service and training skills are necessary. Strong knowledge of building materials (especially commodities) products and lumber is required. Ability to operate computer equipment and programs is required.