Want to help shape tomorrow? At Bendix we’ve been doing it for 90 years…setting the standard with advanced dynamic solutions that drive improved commercial vehicle performance and safety. We’re part of the Knorr-Bremse Group, the global leader in braking technologies. As part of our team, you’ll collaborate with a world of talented and dedicated colleagues whose sense of purpose complements your own. You’ll find rewarding opportunities, diverse experiences, partnerships, and an unwavering commitment to ethics and integrity. Innovation is part of our DNA. Achievement drives our culture. Learn more today!
Writer 2 / 3, Technical
The position will serve as a part of the technical writing team within Bendix with the opportunity to lead key projects and initiatives within the group. The position will author and edit all technical documentation to enable end users and other key internal and external audiences to identify, use, and cross reference Bendix products. This position drives the creation and framework of documents and ensures they are effective and consistent.
Technical Collateral Creation:
- Perform all steps required to recommend, develop and complete a specific appropriate solution(s) tool from a diverse portfolio of traditional paper- and interactive-based technical documentation tools. Must exercise judgment within defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Provide publication direction to all Bendix originating departments in development of technical documentation. Compile, organize and obtain all necessary client and functional area approvals on technical materials including (but not limited to) service data sheets, instruction sheets, catalog pages, complete catalogs and quick reference documentation, core program support tools, technical bulletins, troubleshooting materials, reference charts, cards and other documentation, internet, intranet, and training tools.
- Gather information from a variety of sources including (but not limited to) interviews with subject matter expert(s), review of required engineering system documentation and other necessary input sources; draft the text and coordinate all original photo, computer graphics and illustrations as needed.
- Edit documentation for accuracy, clarity, coherence, and consistency, referring to accepted standards of industry and Bendix-specific editorial practice. Rewrite material and/or work with originator(s) to affect necessary correction(s) and modifications.
- Coordinates efforts to ensure completeness of final product, including managing the review and proofing process of documentation through the organization, adhering to the departmental ISO procedures, to ensure the content and standards for all technical and training documentation are accurate and in compliance.
- Develop and implement creative work processes and innovative work methods to maximize electronic technical data reuse and authoring efficiencies.
- Understand and perform to project and program-specific writing specifications.
- Coordinates workflow between documentation originator(s) and Corporate Communications print production staff to ensure professional product is completed per specifications, clarify instructions, etc.
- Reviews existing publications for purpose of modifying, revising and/or rewriting and works with originators to determine timely, cost-effective approaches.
- Reviews final product for physical presentation and intelligibility to ensure quality of final product. Seeks timely correction as appropriate.
- Coordinates translation of materials into Spanish and French Canadian or other languages as required to support field efforts for internal and external customer needs.
- Support all technical documentation requirements for product recalls and other field service-oriented activities.
- Support Bendix Field Service team, Tech Team and Warranty by developing documentation, training tools and other needs as articulated.
- Support Bendix Corporate Communications Director in delivery of social media strategy for post sales support and technical thought leadership.
- Support Bendix Corporate Communications team serving as a traditional and interactive designer for materials beyond technical documentation.
- Interface with legal team, external vendors, business team and engineering leadership to ensure zero defect timely materials to address business goals and objectives.
Technical Content Extension – eLearning, Training, and Interactive Platform Integration:
- Amplify technical content as part of curriculum and established eLearning platform channel for market segments to extend our post-sales support reach.
- Support Director, Corporate Communications and business marketing/engineering leadership to create cadence of technically-oriented/service/maintenance content via applicable channel outlets
- Support technical content refresh /maintenance and creation on all Bendix web sites
- Establish credibility with company clients as a communication team professional capable of leading the development and implementation of technically-oriented communications strategies and plans.
Technical Content Extension - Social Media:
- Support Director, Corporate Communications and key business/engineering/sales-service leadership to amplify technical content as part of editorial calendar and cadence on established Bendix social media channels. This includes, but is not limited to, development and implementation of content for technical podcast, blog, and webinar content creation; along with adult learning content support for in-person brake school
Creative Design Support:
- Serve as part of North America Corporate Communications Group design staff, creating content for all forms of communications – technical and non-technical in support of business goals and objectives.
- Ability to understand and incorporate company brand positioning into all forms of communications materials, including new product launch and positioning.
- Able to critique and improve graphic design and visual symbols in marketing collateral library.
- Research and develop understanding of complex electro-mechanical system and sub-system operation.
- Work proactively with engineering and other key clients to procure and understand source data.
- Provides expertise regarding presentation, including organization, format, layout and style.
- 8+ years of prior Technical Writing experience – including Technical Document Creation, Process Improvement and Translation Management, preferably in an automotive, rail, transportation, and/or complex manufacturing industry application.
- 3+ years prior demonstrated graphic design experience, including photography, along with published social media content development in a business-to-business setting
- 3+ years prior demonstrated technical script and e-learning content development and deployment, including videography and video editing, in a business-to-business setting
- 3+ years validated vendor management in support of designated projects and/or function, including cost and content development, deliverables, and participation in periodic vendor performance reviews.
- Excellent, efficient B2B written communication skills including ability to draft and edit technical and marketing literature, web site content, e-learning, and all other forms of marketing and technical communications materials. Outstanding grammar and punctuation required.
- A very high degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including PowerPoint and Excel.
- A very high degree of proficiency to utilize and leverage collaborative tools and graphic design software including Microsoft SharePoint, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign,
- Ability to deploy and leverage skills in Photography, Video creation, and video editing software;
- Strong organizational and project planning skills – tied to project metrics – including strong attention to detail and commitment to rigor and discipline in project management practices.
- Ability to apply complex analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to multi-task. Action oriented, drives for results and can be counted on to exceed goals.
- Proven problem-solving skills using rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions.
- Excellent, concise oral communication skills and excellent presentation, research and project coordination skills.
- Practices attentive and active listening skills.
- Relates well to diverse employee demographic profile and possesses excellent communication skills.
- Proficient in Agile practices and methodology
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project. Visio
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of TeamCenter and SAP
- Bi- or Tri-lingual fluency to speak and write in German, Spanish, and/or French strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree required – preferably with a focus in Communications or Business related focus.
- Master’s Degree preferred
Position Requirements: The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What does Bendix have to offer you?
- Work/life balance that includes Paid Vacation & Holiday Paid Time Off
- 401k Plan with Company matching
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Educational Assistance Program (Tuition Reimbursement)
- Wellness Program and incentives
- Telework policy
- On-Site Fitness Center
- On-Site Cafeteria with Healthy menu options
- Health and Welfare Insurance Benefits that start on your 1st day of employment:
- Company-Paid Benefits:
- Basic Life Insurance
- Basic Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Voluntary Employee-Paid Benefits:
- Medical and Prescription insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance Plans
- Supplemental AD&D insurance for Employee and Family
- Long Term Disability
- Accident Plan
- Critical Illness Plan
- Hospital Indemnity Plan