Cox Communications is searching for a Wireless Application Engineer II within the Wireless Industry who will be primarily responsible for design, build and test activities associated with the Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting (AAA) platform, while ensuring Business and Technology requirements are clearly understood, documented and validated to be met in designs through necessary test cycles.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Participate in design, build and test activities with regards to new products, services, hardware, software and feature/functionality within our core wireless offering components, with an emphasis on cloud-native and containerized applications and components
- Participate in design, build and test activities with regards to new products, services, hardware, software and feature/functionality across our entire core wireless offering components including access points, routers, switches, wireless LAN controllers, servers and applications with minimal direction
- Clearly understand technical problems and find solutions to mitigate those problems
- Execute defined test cases and document results, revisit design as necessary
- Methodically scope, troubleshoot, diagnose, and fix complex problems as required in high-scale service provider wireless environments while minimizing customer impacts and outages
- Capture configurations, logs and packet captures as necessary for escalation to engineering peers or vendors and partners
- Partner with Operations team members to prepare low level designs, configurations and methods and procedures to gain operational perspective, including reliability, scalability, simplicity, and standardization and ensure success through launch of the change
- Partner with peer Engineering team members to gain in-depth understanding of proposed changes to hardware, software or configurations and implications
- Replicate production issues in staging lab environments along with traffic generators as necessary to test fixes and to regression test launches
- Assess and continually improve lab methods and procedures
- Define event engineering requirements, author methods and procedures to be executed on defined SNMP or syslog alarm conditions and validate test cases in lower environments
- Quickly understand preliminary product/platform concepts or high level designs and subsequently author technical requirements as necessary based on those understandings
- Translate high level engineering documentation into working configurations and test plans and enhancing areas with additional applicable data where necessary
- Participate in a scheduled on-call rotation
- Participate in planned maintenance activities during maintenance windows as needed
- Ability to contribute to detailed documentation such as Deployment MOPs, Training material, Operational Guides, Production RCA’s, Process Flows
- Proactively identify and propose products and/or enhancements to existing platforms to improve scalability, reliability, and performance
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related discipline, and 2 years’ experience as a technical engineer in the Wireless Communications Industry. The right candidate could also have a different combination, such as a master’s degree and up to 2 years’ experience; or 6 years’ experience in a related field
- Intermediate knowledge in virtualized environments and components including network function virtualization (NFV), Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM), VMWare and orchestration
- Intermediate knowledge of cloud-native and container-based architectures
- Fundamental knowledge in all packet based protocols such as TCP/IP (including protocols like DHCP, DNS, TCP, UDP, etc), MPLS and routing protocols such as OSPF, ISIS, BGP
- Fundamental knowledge of security protocols and authentication (WPA2, WISPr, EAPS-TTLS, 802.1x, AAA, RADIUS)
- Fundamental knowledge in Linux administration and some of the following application packages including CentOS, FreeBSD, pfSense, ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana), Cacti, SNMP, NUTTCP, iPERF, RANCID, etc.
- Fundamental knowledge in scripting (shell, python, perl, etc.)
- Fundamental knowledge in Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi related IEEE standards, protocol and service provider architectures
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Experience in both Agile and Waterfall software development methodologies
- Fundamental knowledge of SQL, Splunk, network tools
- Expert knowledge in virtualized environments and components including network function virtualization (NFV), Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM), VMWare and orchestration
- Expert knowledge of cloud-native and container-based architectures
- Intermediate knowledge in Network Monitoring Systems and Device/Network Management Systems, like SNMP, etc.
- Intermediate knowledge in Linux administration and all of the following application packages including CentOS, FreeBSD, pfSense, ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana), Cacti, SNMP, NUTTCP, iPERF, RANCID, etc.
- Intermediate knowledge in scripting (shell, python, perl, etc.)
- Specific experience in the designing and operating of large scale service provider wireless networks. Broad experience should include: Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 standards)
- Intermediate knowledge in Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi related IEEE standards, protocol and service provider architectures
- Intermediate knowledge in all packet based protocols such as TCP/IP (including protocols like DHCP, DNS, TCP, UDP, etc), MPLS and routing protocols such as OSPF, BGP4
- Proficient in SQL, Splunk, network tools
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is the largest private telecom company in America, serving six million homes and businesses. That’s a lot, but we also proudly serve our employees. Our benefits and our award-winning culture are just two of the things that make Cox a coveted place to work. If you’re interested in bringing people closer through broadband, smart home tech and more, join Cox Communications today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.