Meet ElectraMeccanica, an innovative electric vehicle manufacturer that is ready to revolutionize how people commute! Drawing on a 60-year legacy of building and delivering high-end custom cars, our flagship vehicle is a single-seat, electric vehicle called the SOLO (NASDAQ: SOLO). The provided driving experience is an unrivaled combination of exhilaration, affordability and environmental consciousness. Now, we are eager to open our doors to our new 18-acre US Assembly and Engineering Technical Center in Mesa, Arizona. Needless to say, it’s electrifying times and we want to invite you to seriously consider joining our expanding team!
About our team? ElectraMeccanica has heart & soul! We hire dedicated, passionate, respectful and engaged contributors, who enjoy creating, solving and challenging the status quo. We have a dedicated team of people and continually seek to hire those who are always willing to roll up their sleeves. If we just described your personal values and work ethic here, we definitely want you to read on to see if this position sparks your interest.
We are seeking an Wire Harness Design Release Engineer (DRE) to join our lean and agile team in our Mesa, Arizona facility. This is a full-time role that reports to the EDS Engineering Manager. This role is responsible for formulating, vet and drive the implementation of the design changes to assure sound engineering data driven design principles have been applied for Wire Harness. A successful candidate will continuously innovate and find ways to efficiently deliver on the goals set for our engineering team.
- Carry rigorous inventory of design inputs and requirements and collect all relevant requirements documentation to consolidate into a Functional & Performance Specifications for Wire Harness
- Guide, control and drive suppliers through the design phases of wire harness from wire attributes list definition to flattening strategy, Design Validation Planning and passing through thermal management simulation, DFM feedback loop and Correct 2D drawing interpretation
- Closely collaborate with TPMs and other disciplines/design sections to assure the creation of a coherent and effective set of engineering deliverables
- Participate in the formulation of and drive the design decisions through the quantification of design considerations such as EMI/EMC, Thermal Management, Electrical Performance and so forth
- Release Wire Harnesses into the PDM after securing proper approvals
- Work with hardware engineering teams and suppliers to obtain harness relevant data
- Create and maintain wiring diagrams and 2D schematics
- Select fuses and wire sizes
- Work with mechanical engineering teams on harness drawings, solving package issues and finalizing connector selection
- Generate harness prints
- Merge harness schematics with 3D designs into a consistent data set that we submit to harness manufacturers
- Implement and conduct data quality checks
- Maintain and configure harness variants for vehicles and a variety of different test bench designs
- Work with tool suppliers on integrations to streamline the processes and to improve harness data quality
- Work with Quality Engineers on incoming quality checks and harness rework activities
- Work with technicians to build harnesses for test and kitting benches
- Report and escalate issues as appropriate and participate in triaging of issues with different teams and harness suppliers
- Participate in the design of a world class engineering effort to bring electric vehicles to a new level of refinement
- Deeply understand low voltage electrical system and sub-system requirements for our new EV Platform.
- Support electrical architecture tradeoff studies supporting feature rollout strategy, technology compatibility, robust operation, cost, serviceability, and automotive industry best practices.
- Support development of electrical system mechanizations, logical schematics, and harness pin-out netlists.
- Support design activities for appropriate wire gage and circuit protection strategies.
- Support wire harness and component design and release engineers in defining and/or reviewing specifications, change order documentation, testing (DVP&R), and data analysis.
- Write test cases for Wire Harness in Lab Car, Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL), or Supplier test facilities.
- Consult with component engineers and controls team to define power-up/down sequencing strategy, quiescent current, ground quality, and isolation requirements.
- Provide requirements documentation for sourcing process.
- Demonstrate best design practices for signal, low-voltage, and high voltage conductor routing and isolation strategies, including UL840/IEC60950.
- Support diagnosis and troubleshooting of low voltage electrical system design deficiencies using circuit schematics and device specification sheets.
- Lead Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (D/FMEA) for low voltage electrical systems.
- Attend engineering and program meetings to ensure all deliverables, including those supporting Homologation and Certification, are met in a timely manner.
- Other duties as occasionally required by company leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or Electromechanical engineeringCapability in deeply understanding electrical systems architecture design principles.
- Demonstrated hands-on diagnostic & electrical lab testing capability.
- Automotive or related industry experience preferred. Production launch experience preferred.
- Able to efficiently resolve complex system challenges into simpler work packages.
- Team-oriented, with outstanding people skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Resourceful self-starter, entrepreneurial-minded, and autonomous once given proper orientation
- Proven experience in harness design and vehicle harness 2D drawing development
- Proven experience with harness schematic tools such as PREEvision, Capital, VeSys or others including detailed knowledge of relevant format such as kbl, xml and others
- Harness packaging experience
- Experience in selecting wiring sizes, harness retention, sealing and other components and types as well as connectors
- Harness Debugging experience
- Harness manufacturing experience
- 6 or more years’ experience in electronics design
- Automotive software-to-hardware testing experience preferred.
One last important note… we work hard, but we play hard too! In fact, our new facility is planned to incorporate modern, dedicated spaces for our employees to dine, engage, relax, and play. We also provide the following comprehensive benefits package that supports our employee’s health, wellness, retirement, and work-life balance:
- Medical, dental, and vision plans
- Generous paid time off
- 401k with company match
- Life/AD&D insurance
- Short-term and Long-term disability benefits
- Corporate fitness/wellness discounts
While we greatly appreciate all candidate applications, we only contact those individuals who best meet the required position qualifications. Thank you in advance for considering ElectraMeccanica!