The Window Systems Engineer will provide advanced technical expertise in the strategic analysis of Windows-based server system solutions, and the related domain service technologies to which Microsoft’s suite of utilities is utilized (DHCP, DNS, ADFS, DFS, ADCS, etc.). You will work independently or as a team member to deliver new services and solutions, implement complex configurations, and work on specialized projects requiring advanced training and experience.
This position will play a critical role in supporting E.S.S.’s technology directives; by way of innovative solutions and adherence to industry best practices that serve to stabilize, manage, update, and secure PSCU’s infrastructure services. This positions assumes an advanced technical role in the department, and is responsible for supporting and maintaining the implementation of solutions that meet the requirements of ITS/ESS and PSCU as a whole.
- Willing to take responsibility for the proper implementation and maintenance of critical systems.
- Provides recommendations and performs duties that may have a broad and significant impact on PSCU’s services.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written formats with the department manager, team architect, team members, and representatives of other business units. Must be able to speak clearly and succinctly at both direct (one-on-one) and group levels.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and as a technical lead - with strong initiative to strive for perfection and exceed job expectations.
- Able to work under tight deadlines and handle multiple high priority projects simultaneously.
- Willing to participate in an on-call rotation and respond, if needed, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Travel is not a requirement but may be necessary as part of critical support events.
- Serve in a significant engineering and support role. Provide technical insight and serve as both a consultant and implementation specialist in support of current technical dependencies and new, long-range strategic system designs.
- Identify applications for new technological directives and provide recommendations to management. Provide system needs assessments including analysis, design, vendor research and comparison. Participate as needed in POC, controlled testing, and implementation of new technologies
- Ability and willingness to participate in the management of projects - including identifying resources, coordinating schedules, and providing direction to vendors.
- Provide advanced technical training to operational/support staff in complex system projects and related solution configurations.
- Design, install, configure, monitor, and maintain technical solutions that fall under the purview of the ESS team. Utilization of electronic software distribution and system management tools to complete assigned tasks and manage normal maintenance. Experience administering Microsoft’s System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) highly preferred.
- Anticipate, identify, and quickly resolve technical problems that affect system, service, and/or network availability.
- Perform regular preventative maintenance and necessary repairs on file servers/systems, operating systems, sub-systems, and applications. Advanced troubleshooting skills, requiring an intimate knowledge of underlying technologies and diagnostic methods, is required.
- Design, implement, and maintain enterprise-wide security solutions (and related practices) insofar as they, or their practices, apply to the scope of responsibility that is not otherwise defined or managed by the Security team.
- Maintain the operational integrity of PSCU systems and manage/follow system access control procedures.
- Perform regular system monitoring and performance tuning. Provide regular reports to management indicating system utilization, capacity, and projected growth. Analyze system resources to identify optimizations and efficiencies.
- Develop and maintain proper documentation/diagrams for all system configurations.
- Follow established change control procedures for all system configuration changes. Familiarity with ITIL change control processes is helpful.
- Provide for high availability of system resources for PSCU and its’ member credit unions; including provisions for protection against all forms of data loss using backup and recovery methodologies and design practices. This includes contributing to and/or managing aspects of the design, implementation, and on-going support of a DR/BC plan.
- Remain current on new advances in the Information Technologies field through professional groups, trade publications and on-going education opportunities.
- Perform other related miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Information Technology or equivalent combination of secondary education (technical school, etc.) and/or Microsoft certifications combined with direct industry experience required.
- Minimum of one industry recognized engineering certification required (Microsoft, Cisco, Security, or related). Microsoft MCSA/MCSE HIGHLY preferred. Note: if the MCSA/E has not been obtained prior to employment, it must be completed within 2 years of the starting hire date. Training classes will be provided as a benefit.
- 7+ years of IT experience, with a proven track record of success and progressively expanding roles and responsibilities in a Microsoft Windows environment.
- 3+ year’s administrative experience with VMWare technologies.
- Advanced-to-expert level familiarity with ADDS, ADLDS, ADFS, DFS(R), ADCS, DNS, DHCP, Group Policy, RDP/S, PowerShell, RADIUS, and VPN services.
- Familiar with standard System Backup and Recovery practices, principles, applications and mechanisms.
- Proven experience building, deploying and supporting hardened enterprise Microsoft environments.
- Demonstrated acumen utilizing PowerShell (script samples required for new hires).
- Demonstrated ability in systems deployment, administration, and management (creating and deploying images, hardening the OS, installing and configuring any of the various features and roles, applying fixes, creating “Gold images”, resolving technical issues, etc.).
- Experience in System Backup and Recovery practices, principles, applications and mechanisms.
- Experience using Microsoft S.C.C.M. preferred.
- Proven expertise in performance tuning and capacity planning. Understanding of resource allocations and overall management in both physical and virtual scenarios.
- Understanding of Configuration Management and Change Management Best Practices (ITIL certification preferred).
- Experience supporting and working a large scale distributed network (1000+ servers and 2000+ managed end-point devices).
- Familiar and comfortable with SAN/NAS storage systems as well as common file systems and rights provisioning (CIFS, NFS, iSCSI architectures and implementations, etc.).
- Experience with VMWare and related virtualization technology concepts and implementations required.
- Management experience with Microsoft Distributed File System (DFS) management architectures.
- Experience working with Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS).
- Familiarity with Active Directory Certificate Services (ADCS), as well as a strong understanding of certificates, certificate management, cryptography and internal/external PKI implementations.
- Strong understanding of common network services and protocols such as DHCP, DNS, time services, TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc., as well as a functional understanding of basic routing principles. Excellent troubleshooting skills and the ability to logically think through problem situations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills a must.