Manages and monitors a portfolio of client credit exposures, across industry classes, on an ongoing basis. Underwrites credit requests including new, renewals and modifications as the credit expert within the first line of defense. Recommends credit structures and provides effective challenge while ensuring quality and profitability of assigned portfolio. Ensures adherence to the Wholesale risk philosophy, risk appetite and lending strategies. Serves as an additional point of client contact, maintaining a high level of client responsiveness. Navigates a wide variety of financial structures, credit scenarios and financial analysis situations. Communicates risk and return with Wholesale banker partners. Collaborates with bankers on loan closings to ensure proper documentation of new and amended deals as well as waivers and modifications. Works closely with and provides guidance to Wholesale Credit Risk Analysts, serving as lead regarding client servicing activities to proactively identify and mitigate credit risk.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with bankers and other business teams to meet client credit requests, while balancing the risk-return needs of the company. Monitors portfolio to accurately assign risk ratings to clients and facilities. Ensures packages are complete, accurate and thoroughly documented.
- Conducts analysis and structuring of credit requests for clients and prospects. Develops client assessments including in-depth analyses of financial data and other information provided by the client. Conducts projection modeling, stress testing and other analyses using research and evaluations from a wide variety of sources.
- Assesses deal strengths and weaknesses and risk factors. Evaluates and establishes risk ratings for transactions and correlates exposure levels as a part of the client strategy discussion. Completes and coordinates memos using aforementioned process and materials.
- Facilitates all credit-related approvals to provide superior risk management, client service and revenue generation, which may include derivative, p-card, treasury and letter of credit approvals and issuances.
- Interacts with deal team at agent banks regarding buy-side syndicated transactions, and interacts with participating banks regarding Synovus-led multi-bank deals.
- Collaborates with bankers, agent bank officers, and bank attorney regarding loan documentation and closing process for new and amended credit facilities, including waivers and modifications. Helps ensure loan documentation complies with loan approvals.
- Interfaces with Wholesale loan operations team regarding booking of new and amended deals, waivers and modifications, providing all necessary documentation to complete closing process.
- Ensures all transactions are in compliance with regulatory and company guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Remains current on all aspects of the credit relationship, including exposure, compliance, potential problems and opportunities. Notifies bankers of any issues and interacts with clients as required.
- Serves as a client point of contact and is responsible for collection of required client reporting. Monitors existing client credit on a daily basis for issues or concerns. Conducts periodic credit servicing in conjunction with Wholesale Credit Risk Analysts.
- Initiates discussions as needed with bankers to ensure client positive operating performance and ability to meet obligations. Notifies bankers of any deterioration in operating performance. Submits periodic reporting and servicing.
- Monitors tickler and exception reports to manage flow of financial reporting and client compliance with covenants.
- Prepares internal and external regulatory exam responses. Responds to examiner questions and requests for information regarding assigned portfolio. Assists in cross selling efforts and participates in special projects. Works closely with and provides guidance to Wholesale Credit Risk Analysts, serving as lead regarding client servicing activities.
- Provides a cohesive and comprehensive approach to review ratings, risk assessment, portfolios, clients and industries in assigned sector. Prepares and presents quarterly and annual risk reviews and tiering analyses. Assigns risk ratings and maintains updated credit research on portfolio of clients.
- Trains, mentors, and develops Analysts and other junior members of the team. Helps drive and support innovation and continuous efficiency improvements.
- Each team member is expected to be aware of risk within their functional area. This includes observing all policies, procedures, laws, regulations and risk limits specific to their role. Additionally, they should raise and report known or suspected violations to the appropriate Company authority in a timely fashion.
- Performs other related duties as required.
The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Synovus is an Equal Opportunity Employer supporting diversity in the workplace.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related discipline or a combination of education and experience
- Two years of experience as a Wholesale Credit Risk Manager I; or six years of credit analysis or commercial banking experience including experience in one of the following sectors: corporate banking, middle market or CRE.
- Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Strong understanding of risk management and credit mitigants
- Knowledge risk ratings analysis, corporate finance and/or research
- Strong analytical and financial modeling ability
- Strong client service skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skill
- Strong relationship building skills
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office software products including advanced Excel modeling skills
- Familiarity with Moody's analytics.