5 - 7 years experience • Automotive
The purpose of the Welding Engineer is to provide first-line support for the resolution of production problems and coordinates specific items with manufacturing, quality assurance, general maintenance and tooling to maintain Dimensional integrity of finished goods supplied to customers. Monitors and reports status. Participates in decisions within an area of responsibility and interfaces with others on continuous improvement of operations.
· Experience in destructive and non-destructive weld testing.
· 3-5years’ experience with designing and programming robotic/automated welding systems a plus.
· Minimum 5years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Bachelors of Science in Welding EngineeringTechnology or an additional 4years’ experience.
· American Welding Society (AWS) Certification a plus.
Critical Success Factors:
· Ability to work in teams.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
· Strong mechanical and electrical aptitude.
· Strong mathematical skills.
· Ability to analyse problems and provide solutions.
· Experience in Tier 1 Automotive a plus.
· Support plant's commitment to both internal and external customer quality
· Establish welding process and quality parameters for MIG (GMAW) and resistance spot welding operations.
· Assist in defining and maintaining proper methods and standards for quality and production coming off welding processes.
· Establish procedures, processes and testing equipment for destructive and non-destructive testing on resistance & MIG welding applications including cut & etch (macro etch), fillet weld break, transverse tension & guided bend testing with the assistance from the Quality Department.
· Work with Design and Manufacturing Engineering and Prototype Departments to fine-tune designs, material selection, documentation, fixtures , and process control to optimize product manufacturability.
· Design and develop welding systems and fixtures and participate in FMEA's.
· Study current welding processes for cost reduction and process improvement opportunities.
· Develop and implement robotic/automated welding systems
· Research and recommend new ideas and methods to improve welding processes.
· Prepare written capital and cost reduction proposals, including cost justifications.
· Establish equipment standards required for the Welding Department.
· Develop and maintain approved weld training programs.
· Develop and maintain a Preventative Maintenance Program on all welding and robotic systems.
· Assist in Metallurgical Studies that must be performed.
· Manage MIG (GMAW) & resistance welding consumables & weld equipment spare parts.
· Conduct weld lobe studies to optimize welding processes.
· Responsible for welding dimensional process capability for new and existing processes.
· Identify and implement fail-safe welding systems to eliminate discrepant processes and parts.
· Participate in New Product Development activities to incorporate Design for Manufacture concepts.
· Perform special assignments and other duties as determined by the Manufacturing Engineering Manager. Working Conditions
· Office Environment and Plant Floor (PPE required)