The Weld Engineering Manager:
- Leads the Weld Manufacturing Engineering group which supports all programs at the Louisville site.
- Manages assignments and tasks for team to support internal and external customers including Senior Manufacturing Engineer, Site Operations Director, Program Management, Value Stream Managers, Electric Boat, DCMA, and NAVSEA.
- Provides engineering support for welding operations in manufacture of weapon systems including submarine missile tubes and major caliber naval guns.
- Develops concepts, designs, performance, fabrication, test and modifications for these products.
- Identifies weld equipment needs and pursues capital expenditure for implementation.
- Prepares and conducts weld engineering analysis of materials and procedures, leads weld procedure and performance qualifications efforts.
- Utilizes knowledge of metallurgy, material weldability, welding robotics, and associated programming.
- Reviews supplier capability and suitability to provide acceptable product and comply with government specifications.
- Develops or contributes to the creation of welding standards and specifications.
- Develops work documentation including routings and work instructions to guide weld workforce how to perform welding tasks.
- Develops special weld repairs as necessary.
- Implements overall weld program including management and control of standard policies and procedures.
- Reports status of projects on a regular basis to management staff.
This position will report directly to the Senior Manufacturing Engineering Manager. Here is a video that shows the work we do in Platforms & Services.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- B.S. degree in a relevant technical discipline plus 8 years relevant experience; or a M.S. degree in a relevant technical discipline plus 6 years relevant experience.
- Expert knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures of Weld Engineering.
- Management experience.
- Understanding of equipment and technologies relevant to Welding and Weld Engineering.
- Ability to solve complex technical problems that require a professional level of Weld Engineering knowledge.
- Working knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of a relevant technical field of specialization.
- Familiarity with current computer applications and technologies in applicable engineering disciplines.
- Ability to solve moderately complex technical design and development problems that require a professional level of engineering knowledge.
- Experience with root cause and corrective action problem solving.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with customers to solve moderately complex technical problems.
- Ability to lead a team of engineers and juggle multiple projects at a time.
- Ability to develop and present technical information to all levels of management and customers.
- Familiarity with weld procedure and performance qualification to NAVSEA S9074-AQ-GIB-010/248.
- Familiarity with NDT procedure qualification to T9074-AS-GIB-010/271.
- Well-spoken and ability to have excellent working relationships with direct reports and all internal and external customers.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Certification with AWS as a CWI or other relevant certification.
- Moderate knowledge of nondestructive testing scope and capabilities.
- Understanding and practice of Lean/6-sigma concepts as applied to manufacturing.
- Defense contractor experience.
- Microsoft Project and Power Point experience.
- ERP/MRP systems such as Oracle or Baan experience.