What we're about
IMAX is not your everyday entertainment experience, so it's not surprising that IMAX employees and their careers go beyond the ordinary. Our employees share a passion for quality in everything they do. Our Hollywood people are movie business insiders with years of production experience. Our technology experts are unashamedly geeky – people who can talk for hours, and be riveting, about color gamut and lasers. Our business people are consummate sales and marketing professionals who are spreading the IMAX word around the world.
Of course we offer all the benefits you'd expect from a company with over 50 years of history. Yet, beyond this, we know everyone works differently and is motivated by different things. That's why we offer competitive pay and a wide assortment of benefits – to help you make the most of your life at work and away from it.
As the world's leading entertainment technology company, IMAX has revolutionized the way people experience movies. Specializing in immersive motion picture technologies, our employees are driven by a passion to take audiences around the world to places they've only dreamed of.
The Web Systems Engineer position will join an expert team of energetic and knowledgeable staff in building and maintaining the public facing, high-traffic web properties within IMAX. The target for the Web Systems Engineer is to work with our web properties stakeholders to ensure that ongoing development of their initiatives is rolled out on a secure, scalable and stable manner.
What you'll be doing:
- Work closely with the Technical Operations team in the infrastructure upkeep and maintenance of existing public Web Properties.
- Work closely with the company stakeholders and their vendors in gathering the requirements for their web projects.
- Provide technical input and recommendations to the infrastructure team based on project requirements.
- Build any custom modules/templates per the requirements of the stakeholders.
- Participate in daily project stand-up meetings, work in team environments and share knowledge.
- Participate in an on-call rotation to respond to critical system events.
What we're looking for:
- 4+ years' experience working with CMS platforms for enterprise clients and/or complex requirement sets
- Experience building web systems that scale to tens of thousands of concurrent users.
- Experience with securing and hardening CMS platforms
- Experience with automated testing tools and continuous integration.
- Fully understands the development lifecycle and ability to deploy at every stage.
- Ability to work independently and/or as part of a team.
- Experience with agile and scrum concepts and practice.
- Experienced in web API usage and development.
Specific Technical Qualifications:
- Expert Apache/Nginx, Linux, and MySQL skills.
- Proficient in web technologies such as HTML5, CSS3, SASS, and Bootstrap.
- Varnish, squid, nginx and/or other caching and load balancing experience.
- Experience with Object Oriented PHP & Drupal 7
- Experience working collaboratively using version control systems (Git/GitHub).
- Experience working with Cloud platforms
- Strong background in full LAMP stack.
- Proficient in working with CDNs
- Proficient in networking concepts
- Knowledge of working in cloud environments
- Knowledge of Nagios monitoring and plugins
- Understanding of web development workflow and methodologies