THIS POSITION HAS AN END DATE OF 8/10/18.
School of Nursing at the University of Rochester is looking to hire an undergraduate or graduate student with interest in working with web-based software development over a ten-week period from June 4th through August 10th, 2018. This internship will be focused on a classroom technology status web site. This is a temporary internship opportunity.
This position is being offered as one of a number of positions being coordinated under the umbrella of the University IT Internship Program in the summer of 2018. As a result, while the emphasis will be on individual experiences based on a position description provided, the group will be organized as a starting cohort and meet approximately every two weeks. The emphasis of this cohort experience will be to expose all participants to multiple facets of the Information Technology environment at the University of Rochester. These sessions will combine presentation by IT professionals and group discussion to broaden the learning experience. All students will also be asked to prepare a poster session at the end of the program. This will provide program participants an opportunity to link classroom learning to the practicum, as well as formalize thoughts and service recommendations to the IT organization.
Under direction of the project managers and with latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative:
Web development and programming
- Design and implement database structures in consultation with customers’ needs and best practices using PostgreSQL and SQL Server, while considering data structural integrity and fit with the architecture of data structures in the School as well as the broader University.
Requirements gathering and documentation
- Work with customers to collect requirements and analyze integration of these requirements with other School or University wide projects to ensure collaboration and to minimize duplication of effort.
- Identify, interpret, and evaluate requirements, specifications, and available resources.Use this evaluation to recommend resources for use in project implementation.
- Perform research to determine the optimum solution from available viable products or services.This research should be used to persuade leadership of the best technical solutions.
Software Quality Testing
- Test own code
- Develop tests for colleagues’ code
- AAS degree in Electronic Data Processing and prefer 1 year of related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prefer pursuing (or completed) a Bachelor’s degree, and interest in Information Technology.
- Strong oral, written, and team communication skills, effective questioning, listening, and analytical skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Software development background with the Python language (or willingness to learn)
- Familiarity with SQL databases (PostgreSQL preferred)