As a frontend engineer at the New York Times, you will have the opportunity to work on the most impactful surfaces of our products, from custom editing interfaces for our journalists to web, mobile and email products for millions of users around the world. You can also contribute to the development of new products beyond our core journalism, such as the Crossword and NYT Cooking.
We are looking for frontend engineers of all levels and backgrounds to join our product teams. We have a number of teams currently looking for frontend engineers.
Some of the teams hiring are:
Have a meaningful impact on the future of the business by improving the experience of subscribing to the Times.
Take a lead role in architecting and implementing a design system for our core product’s home screen.
Join the team that builds the tools that our journalists use to do their work.
Enrich people’s lives by making them better, more confident cooks.
Play a role in the development of new and existing Games at the Times!
The Audio team is new within the New York Times focused on building a new audio product. Join a new and growing team of developers who will be working to support the new audio product.
As a Frontend Engineer, you will:
- Join a cross-functional team that includes peers from design, product and often editors from the newsroom
- Work with current technologies including React, GraphQL and CSS Modules
- Have a voice in the direction of our products
- Work at scale to help deliver our journalism to millions of users around the world
- Have the opportunity to work with all parts of the stack and contribute to broader architectural discussions within the organization
- Be encouraged to participate in open-source projects and share your work at conferences and the Times Open blog.
To thrive in this role, you should:
- At least one year of professional experience working with current web technologies
- Be able to work in a highly collaborative environment with peers from different backgrounds and skill set
- Enjoy finding creative solutions to technical challenges and appreciate the balance between strong convictions and a pragmatic approach
- Show curiosity about the world and a desire to learn and grow
- Have pride in your work
Culture and Benefits
- We’ve won more Pulitzer Prizes than any other organization (including three in 2018), and you can celebrate with the award winners in our newsroom.
- We believe diversity fuels innovation and creativity, and we have a variety of employee groups dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- We are a New York- based engineering organization with a remote-friendly workplace that includes engineers around the world.
- We are committed to career development and have a formal mentoring program. We encourage our engineers to participate in conferences and we frequently host talks by industry leaders (Sheryl Sandberg, Melinda Gates and Ta-Nehisi Coates are a few recent examples).
- Every person within the tech organization is expected to spend five full days focusing on learning. We have a generous tuition reimbursement program and you can use this time on career-relevant activities like attending a formal class, internal company training, online training, a self-developed learning program or even by teaching others.
- We run a Maker Week event twice a year, where Design, Product, Project, Marketing and Technology come together to work on compelling, creative, cross-functional projects.
This role may require limited on-call hours. An on-call schedule will be determined when you join, taking into account team size and other variables. On-call hours are unpaid, unless informed otherwise by your manager.
Benefits and Perks:
- Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
- We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
- We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
- We offer a competitive parental leave.
- We are committed to career development and ongoing learning supported by a formal mentoring program as well as $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
- Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.