Choice Hotels International is a cutting-edge software development company that develops software to manage, reserve and book hotel rooms in its portfolio of 11 branded hotels. Choice provides innovative enterprise SOA solutions based on Open Source and AWS technologies. Choice is a tightknit team where you can enhance your skills in an environment that emphasizes creativity, sharing, teamwork, professionalism, and outstanding quality software. You will work alongside some of the most talented and dynamic professionals as they work to provide exceptional solutions to the many challenges our business and franchises face. If you are bright, driven, enjoy working with the latest technologies and have the right blend of business acumen, technically savvy and customer-facing skills then this opportunity is for you. If you are willing to work hard, looking for a place to learn and grow, and have the skills we would like to hear from you.
The Web Developer (Software Engineer 2) will perform analytics, design, code, implement and debug an enterprise system’s entire suite of components. The Web Developer (Software Engineer 2) works on all phases of a system’s development life cycle with an emphasis on analyzing complex business and technical problems to shape and deliver an entire system’s software components. The Web Developer (Software Engineer 2) helps ensure that the development process and resultant systems adhere to the standards set forth by senior development staff.
Primary responsibilities include
- Proactively identifies problems with requirements (lack of clarity, inconsistencies, technical limitations) for their own work and adjacent work and communicates these issues early to help course-correct.
- Demonstrates the ability to contribute to a software engineering team.
- Communicates technical decision through design docs, tech talks, and wiki articles.
- Communicates effectively cross functions; is able to work well with Product, Design, Analytics, etc. as necessary.
- Delivers complex product to QA that they believe to be well thought out and bug free.
- Mentors junior engineers through pairing, design review and code review. Contributes frequently to sprint demo reviews and retrospectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, from a four-year college or university; or two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of four years relevant experience in software development, information systems, or equivalent technical environment, including previous experience in the development of highly transactional, mission critical applications in heterogeneous environments/architectures for multi=user systems.
- 2+ years with Unix/Linux and one of the many shells.
- 2+ years using source control. (GIT preferred)
- Writes own unit tests (Jest or Jasmine)
- Exceptional verbal, written, and listening communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demeanor.
- Excellent knowledge of software development best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- UI/UX design experience
- Agile/Scrum/Kanban workflows
- Knowledge of SEO
- Passion for writing accessible websites
- Familiar with build tools and continuous integration (Gulp/Grunt, Jenkins)
- Working knowledge of Webpack 3
- AWS knowledge/certification is a plus.
- 1+ years writing Java/Spring in an enterprise environment