At Duke University, our technological and pedagogical culture enables faculty, staff, and students to choose the excellent, scalable, and integrated tools that empower the best learning. Duke Learning Innovation is looking for a passionate and thoughtful professional to add web application development expertise to our team.
This position works on the Learning Technology Services and Strategy team within Learning Innovation to build, support, and maintain web applications for Duke University. The developer supports the teaching and learning mission of the university by
- Building small, focused apps to fill gaps not met by other tools
- Integrating web apps with learning platforms including, Coursera, Duke's Sakai Learning Management System and Kits App Store
- Contributing to the open-source codebases leveraged by Duke learning technologies
- Collaborate with users, Learning Innovation staff, other developers, and systems administrators to iteratively identify business requirements and propose solutions.
- Employ agile principles to research, design, and develop software solutions for business needs.
- Troubleshoot and optimize applications for performance.
- Participate in educational initiatives to maintain their skillset
- Document all work efforts in relation to customer requests, change requests, maintenance activities, and others as identified.
- Effectively collaborate with their communities and leverage existing open-source projects and services and current, proprietary systems in use at Duke.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
It is the expectation that all Duke University Libraries staff members will demonstrate exceptional workplace behaviors in the execution of their specific position responsibilities. These behaviors are customer focus, collaboration, creative problem solving, continuous learning and a commitment to diversity.
Required: BA/BS; or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage a complex workload across multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and use good judgment.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to interact with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a team environment
- Self-motivated and goal-oriented attitude. Seeks to learn and adapt to new technologies and ways of thinking/working.
- Demonstrated ability to document, analyze, evaluate, and improve upon yours or others work
- Demonstrated ability to track and resolve complex problems.
- Demonstrated experience object-oriented design and programming
- Demonstrated experience with web markup and styling languages (HTML5, CSS3)
- Demonstrated experience developing applications for UNIX(Linux) environments
- Demonstrated understanding of relational databases and Structured Query Language
- Demonstrated experience developing database-driven web applications
- Demonstrated experience with the web application request and response lifecycle
- Demonstrated experience with REST, LTI, OAuth, SAML, or other integration technologies
- Demonstrated experience with agile software practices
- Experience with automated testing methodologies including Unit/Integration/Acceptance/Performance testing
- Demonstrated experience with git-based version and source control systems
- Demonstrated experience with software change and release management, preferably with frequent deployments and multiple environments