Water / Waste Water Department Manager
This position provides a unique combination of areas to contribute your skills to, as part of one of the largest water and sewer utilities in the US.
Outline of Responsibilities:
- Use leadership skills to manage staff and project work and to form a cohesive team aligned to achieve a common goal.
- Responsible for the overall functioning and project results of the department.
- Assign projects to Project Managers in the department and assist in assembling appropriate project teams and sub-consultants.
- Meet staff and department utilization goals by monitoring resource projections, balancing workloads, and communicating with other Department and Operations Managers.
- Ensure project performance through regular project reviews with Project Managers and assist where necessary to correct deficiencies or address project/client issues.
- Develop or oversee development of scope, schedule, and fees for new projects and additional scope/services requested by clients that yield successful projects for clients and the Company.
- Ensure accurate and up-to-date project plans are maintained in the Company’s management information system for all department projects, including project fundamentals, labor projections, financial goals, and quality control planning.
- May manage projects.
- Engage with associates to further their career development.
- Retain associates by engaging in morale-building activities such as one-on-one meetings, collaboration sessions, coaching, training and occasional department or office social events.
- Monitor staff training in conjunction with the company’s University.
- Regularly communicate with other Department Managers and staff in other offices on department capabilities for workload-sharing and cross-selling to internal and external clients.
- Proactively seek opportunities for leadership and growth by volunteering to assist a senior manager with operational, marketing, or technical activities.
- Manage and resolve personnel issues including performance improvement and conflicts.
- Manage personnel issues in accordance with the Jones Edmunds Human Resources Manual.
- Establish, develop, and maintain relationships with clients and potential clients.
- Assist in developing client proposals for projects to ensure a complete scope that meets Company, industry, and client standards and expectations.
- Input, monitor, and updatemarketing opportunities alone or in conjunction with the Primary Client Contacts.
- Work closely with the Primary Client Contacts to ensure that they are informed of project progress, accomplishments, and challenges.
- Work closely with the Primary Client Contacts to develop new projects and maintain client satisfaction.
- May be assigned as the Primary Client Contact for a client or clients.
- Present a professional and positive image of the company.
- May complete technical tasks including design and quality review.
- Ensure that project documents are consistent with project plans and within project scope and budget.
- Manage data research, collection, and compilation efforts.
- Analyze and correlate scientific and engineering data and recognize discrepancies in results using a series of related detailed steps or processes.
- Identify problems, evaluate options for resolution including risks associated with each, and implement appropriate solutions.
- Approve project plans developed by Project Managers.
- Responsible for proper quality assurance and quality control within the department and in accordance with the company’s Project Management Manual and Quality Program to ensure projects meet Company, industry, and client standards and expectations.
- Hold team members and reviewers accountable to company standards for quality.
- Verify and ensure that brainstorming is occurring for all projects and participate in brainstorming as appropriate.
- Ensure quality control is being implemented on sub-consultant work product.
- Accountable for the quality of work performed by the department.
- Work with team members to maximize profitability while maintaining a high level of quality.
BS in Engineering
10 years minimum of professional experience preferably in a consulting or related field
Knowledge of project performance metrics and their meaning
Valid Driver’s License with an acceptable MVR