The City of Grand Island, Nebraska, is looking for a qualified professional to fill their Wastewater Plant Operations Engineer position. This position performs professional level engineering duties related to the wastewater treatment plant; plan organize and supervise plant process operations within the wastewater treatment plant.
Wastewater Plant Operations Engineer Responsibilities:
- Regular attendance that is punctual and dependable is required.
- Display honest, trustworthy, and ethical behavior when dealing with internal and external customers.
- Establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- All functions are to be completed in a timely manner.
- Display proficiency in the use of office and computer equipment, Microsoft Office, BioWin and other relevant software packages.
- Prepare and/or coordinate the preparation of engineering designs, plans, specifications and cost estimates for the construction of capital improvements to the wastewater system and seal.
- Direct subordinate superintendents, foremen and other supervisors performing activities related to wastewater.
- Conduct studies to evaluate proposed improvements to the wastewater system; develop and maintain model of the system.
- Develop Water Management System (WMS) models for various scenarios and arrange for immediate response to changing conditions. Develop models that will effectively assess hydraulic conditions within the system.
- Plan, implement and oversee monitoring and automation, including SCADA and WMS.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of engineering documents including plans, specifications, contracts, maps, standards, etc.
- Participate in the inspection of construction projects to ensure City specifications and standards are met. Consult with contractors, engineering and representatives in carrying out various wastewater projects.
- Maintain up to date plant schematics.
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of goals and objectives.
- Establish schedules and methods for wastewater treatment; implement policies and procedures.
- Recommend and/or implement improvements and modifications; prepare various reports on operations and activities.
- Answer questions and provide information to the public; investigate complaints and recommend corrective action as necessary to resolve complaints.
- Attend meetings of committees and agencies involved in environmental control operations.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Specific experience and training is required:
An accredited bachelor’s degree in Engineering. Masters and/or Doctorate degrees are encouraged, but will not substitute for the required undergraduate degree.
Five years of increasingly responsible experience in professional engineering as licensed PE is required; time spent working as an Engineering Intern will not be counted. Post licensure supervision experience over an engineering operation is preferred.
License or Certification:
Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Nebraska at the time of application. Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) by another state will be accepted in lieu of this requirement providing the applicant is registered by the State of Nebraska by the completion of the introductory period (6 months).
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Class IV Wastewater Operator Certificate within eighteen (18) months of hire.