We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
The Wide Area Network (WAN) Engineering team builds technology solutions to supportInternet, Data Center and Corporate & Branch Office WANnetworks for Charles Schwab & Co. This includes working with business units, subsidiaries, multiple Schwab Technology disciplines as well as external vendors to develop and implement technology solutions for the Firm. The WANEngineering team will be expected to define networkinfrastructure requirements, engineer high availability solutions as well as participate in new product selection and certification. The team actively participates in business driven projects, provides consulting services for various project teams, oversight of vendor management and contract negotiations. The WANEngineering team will develop and adhere to lifecycle roadmaps through the purchase of software and hardware solutions. This position requires an enthusiastic, value driven, constant learner to develop and support services in the WANEngineering team.
What you’ll do:
The Staff WAN Engineer/Developer will work closely with the WANEngineering team to build and implement the company’s next generation inter-data center network solutions (Optical Transport), Internet peering, cloud transport and Enterprise Smart WANs. The selected individual will partner with key technology and business representatives, obtaining application or service migration requirements and effectively engineeringnetwork designs to transition from legacy solutions to new optimized WAN solutions. Additionally, the position will receive mentorship and direction from Senior Staff, Technical Directors and Leadership to maintain currency and optimization of the existing environment, along with technical oversight regarding growth and lifecycle management.
What you have:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of experience in WANengineering and support
- ISP and/or carrier backbone engineeringexperience/knowledge
- Routing protocol knowledge – OSPF, BGP
- QoS Knowledge and Experience
- Carrier Technologies – DWDM, Dark Fiber, MPLS, VPLS, SoNET, xDSL, Broadband Cable and Fiber, EPL, EVPL, TDM
- Optical testing experience and knowledge
- Co-Location service and Cloud Connect knowledge – nice to have
- Experience with network automation and orchestration tools/platforms
- Layer 2 expertise - Spanning-Tree, BFD, LLDP, CDP
- Scriptinglanguages - knowledge with scriptinglanguages, such as Python, Expect and TCL
- Organization, documentation and communication skills; ability to effectively transition operational support of new solutions to othertechnology groups
- Ability to gather requirements, analyze alternatives, provide cost analysis, test options, configure devices and recommend, document and communicate highly technical solutions
- Experience working in a large enterprise environment with a keen focus around security, availability, resiliency and performance
- Experience building, implementing and troubleshooting complex LAN and WANarchitectures
- Knowledge of wide-area networkarchitecture and design concepts
- CCNP certification preferred
- Hands-on experience designing, building, testing and deploying large-scale network solutions
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life