What We’re Looking For:
A leader responsible for the GetSmarter business in the United States. You will be based in New York and report jointly to Dale Williams (Chief Operating Officer at GetSmarter) and Andrew Hermalyn (Division Head, 2UGrad). You will be a 2U employee and member of the GetSmarter Executive Committee (ExCo).
GetSmarter works with some of the best universities in the world including Oxford, Cambridge, MIT, Harvard and the London School of Economics. They design and present very high quality digital education experiences targeted towards mid-career students. The courses deliver verifiable competencies using a highly people-mediated approach. The majority of the students who complete the courses recommend them to their friends.
- 10 - 15years’ experience in business development or sales.
- Proven experience managing a revenue budget of between $25 million and $100 million.
- Demonstrable experience in developing and implementing strategic and business plans.
- Thorough knowledge of market changes and forces that influence a business.
- Strong understanding of financial statements and financialreporting.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication, administrative, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- MA/MBA or related qualification or substantial relevant experience.
- Experience in or understanding of the higher education market.
- Grow the GetSmarter business in the United States.
- Sign contracts to run GetSmarter short courses with new university partners.
- Sign contracts to run GetSmarter short courses with existing 2U university partners.
- Sign contracts for new courses with existing GetSmarter university partners.
- Act in a very entrepreneurial manner.
- You are required to simultaneously focus on the big picture impact that the GetSmarter business could have in the world and the detail of each new course and how it is built.
- In essence you should see yourself as an entrepreneur having to to take advantage of various resources that are available to you but not necessarily always in your direct control.
- See Ray Dalio’s description of shapers below for a more in depth description of ‘entrepreneurial manner’.
- Achieve through influence.
- GetSmarter has a team of 350 people in Cape Town with over 100 in Marketing and Sales and close to 100 in our Education division who build and run our short courses. We have a Programme Management team who manage the relationships with existing GetSmarter partners and a planning team that project manage the build of all new courses. In addition 2U have General Managers and Portfolio General Managers who are based at the universities where 2U programmes are run. You will be required to build the GetSmarter business in the US through these teams and people without managing them directly.
- Be a conduit between the United States University Partners and the Cape Town team for all new business.
- Meet and exceed annual and quarterly revenue targets.
- Manage the revenue and expense budget for the GetSmarter business in the United States.
- Build and maintain effective communication lines and administrative systems between the university partners and the team in Cape Town.
- Agree revenue targets for general managers responsible for specific universities in the United States.
- Together with the COO set the strategy and direction for the GetSmarter business in the United States taking into account the overall strategy of the GetSmarter business.
- Develop over time, a deep familiarity with the name, revenue performance, bad debts, schedule, price, advertising spend, yield, learning objectives, head tutors, university contact points, NPS, completion and any other aspects that affect our business performance for all US courses. While people in the education, planning, marketing and sales teams individually manage all these aspects of a course, you are expected to have a sufficient overview of each course so that you can meaningfully impact on the revenue results while maintaining an overall portfolio view of the US business.
- Actively manage the portfolio of courses in the US developing mitigation strategies for poor performing courses.
- Report back to the GetSmarter Exco on progress, opportunities and threats in the US GetSmarter business.
- Initially no direct team. This will be revisited over time and will be reviewed in line with the growth strategy.
- Manage and influence the activities of 2U general managers and portfolio managers.
- Manage and influence the activities of GetSmarter team in Cape Town.
- While managers in Cape Town will make staffing decisions about who works on which projects, you will have the ability to make changes should you not be getting what you need to achieve your agreed growth targets.