The VP Underwriting Executive will be accountable for developing and executing a strategic vision for Underwriting that enables long-term profitable growth. This leader will also play a primary role in developing and executing strategy supporting our Agency channels.
- Responsible for financial results including loss ratio, growth, underwriting profit as well as legal compliance which includes developing state level operating plans and establishing overall objectives for the states.
- Conduct financial analysis and analyze complex data sets to determine and anticipate industry and loss cost trends, seize strategic opportunities and recognize threats while balancing short term and longer investments.
- Create state level action plans that maximize growth and profit in a holistic view and execute them in alignment with strategic initiatives of the organization.
- Function in an autonomous and entrepreneurial fashion, aligning closely, and building strong partnerships with actuarial, regulatory, claims, legal and operations resources to improve profitability and overall business performance.
- Play a critical role in developing and executing channel strategies that allow the company to achieve its objectives.
- Prepares premium planbudget. Evaluates market conditions, line of business and segment profitability, retention, rate, diversification and market planning to ensure profitable growth. Provides analysis of all premium planbudget variances. Identifies and implements needed actions.
- Prepares expense planbudget for department and monitors and controls department’s expenses. Provides analysis of all expense planbudget variances. Identifies and implements needed actions.
- Leads collaboration between Underwriting, Product, Actuary, and Finance on all pricing reviews to ensure growth and profitability.
- Coordinates with Marketing to oversee agency evaluation criteria and agency management initiatives to ensure profitable and growing distribution.
- Direct a team of product staff and manage overall talent management, development and growth.
- A bachelor's degree preferably in business or a related field; an MBA preferred.
- Ideal candidate will possess a minimum of ten years' experience in Personal Lines product, pricing and/or underwriting.
- Strong track record of experience successfully managing a P&L responsibility in personal or commercial lines insurance.
- Demonstrated leadership both up and down the corporate structure; executive presence. Ideal candidate will possess a minimum of five years' experience leading and developing a team. Ability to think and act strategically; planning for the long term while balancing the short-term needs of the organization.
- Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills, with thorough attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational, planning, documentation and problem solving skills.
- Strong project management skills and drive-for-results mentality, with the ability to multi-task and make decisions in a business context.
- Solutions-oriented individual, with ability to think strategically and implement change.
- Excellent problem-solving, negotiation, analytical and research skills.
- A team player with experience building strong relationships both internally and externally, and with a strong sense of self-initiative and desire to succeed.
- Negotiation skills to resolve differences while maintaining positive working relationships.
- Proven ability to cultivate an active network of highly visible external relationships in order to meet business and strategic goals.
- Strong leader, mentor, and manager who knows how to evaluate, grow and develop the talent in the organization; demonstrated ability to assess the skills and developmental needs of direct reports and provide appropriate coaching and guidance to maximize people's efforts and contribution to the company.
- Able to effectively and independently conduct competitor analysis & gain an in depth understanding of market dynamics including competitor UW initiatives, rate level analysis, forms analysis as well as economic trends & emerging issues in the market.
- Demonstrated knowledge of state laws in order to make decisions regarding key issues & to identify opportunities to affect legislative change.