PetSmart, a $10 billion retail company, is searching for a Vice President-Tax to lead the Company's tax function. The VP of Tax will manage the 18 person direct and indirect tax department for both PetSmart and wholly owned subsidiary, Chewy.com. The department defines the Company’s short and long term tax strategy, provides guidance to the compliance function, and prepares the financial statement tax provision.
PetSmart has over 1,600 store locations in the US, Puerto Rico and Canada. It also has a growing ecommerce platform. The successful candidate has knowledge of international tax issues including transfer pricing and withholding taxes. In addition, knowledge of state tax issues is required.
The candidate will be responsible for staying abreast of all tax law changes, advising senior management of strategies that will minimize tax liabilities. Monitor new lines of business, acquisitions and products as it relates to tax implications in multiple states. Must collaborate with the Company’s Finance department to maintain process and control documentation. Will lead change within the business units based on tax and regulatory alerts and reconcile tax related issues.
The candidate must possess outstanding communication and leadership skills, exceptional tax planning and organization capabilities, and attention to detail. Must have demonstrated the ability to build long-term successful relationships with senior executives, business unit leaders and staff.
If you are having difficulty with the "Upload Resume" button please use the "Copy and Paste" method to share your resume. Thank you.
- Manage Tax Department functions including Federal and State income tax, Sales/Use tax and personal property.
- Management & Development of Associates – this VP is responsible for leading a team of 18 associates with 2-3 direct reports. Management responsibilities include setting associate objectives, monitoring performance relative to goals, providing coaching feedback to develop behavior as needed and administering performance and compensation reviews in partnership with HR.
- Manage outsourcing sales/use tax compliance engagement
- Review/prepare tax provision
- Review tax returns
- Research tax issues
- Design domestic and international tax planning strategies for the company and all acquisitions/divestitures
- Oversee taxaudits
- Responsible for intercompany accounting and transfer pricing
- Interface with management and third part advisors to identify opportunities and resolve technical issues.
- Provide relevant tax analysis to support key commercial decisions/transactions
- Build strong relationships with business leaders and gain the trust of the senior management team by continually adding value to the overall success of the business. Advise senior leadership on new legislation and trends impacting the company.
- Coach the tax organization to drive excellence and efficiencies
Experience & Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in taxpreferred
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation
- A minimum of 15years functional and leadershipexperience in atax department of a large multi-entity corporation
- PetSmart will also consider filling this role at the Sr. Director level
- Retail experience highly desirable
- 10+ years of supervisory experience
- Experience managing complex tax issues in a corporate environment
- Experience with private equity owned companies and acquisitions
- Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to lead, develop and mentor staff
- Proven ability to collaborate with internal and external customers
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, with excellent organizational skills
- Must possess a “can-do” attitude with the ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff
- Exceptional communication skills at all levels
- Ability to handle high levels of pressure and apply critical decision making with constantly shifting priorities.