Pyxis is seeking a talented and motivated VP/SVP of Strategy and Portfolio Management to join our team. Under the direction of the Chief Operating Officer, the VP/SVP of Strategy and Portfolio Management will work with cross-functional leaders and teams to build the near-term and long-term pipeline growth strategy. This key role will be responsible for identifying productivity goals for the organization that support growth expectations from the capital markets, the Board, and the CEO and determining how these goals will be met through both internal R&D organic pipeline output and inorganic BD in-licensing. Working with the functional leaders, this individual will identify and support the implementation of portfolio growth strategies including key investment decisions, disease area strategies, indication prioritization, and corporate development initiatives. These approaches will be captured in the near and long-term strategic and operating plans, with this individual ensuring key execution activities are occurring. Strong scientific backgrounds and strategic thinking skills are crucial for the success of the role.
- Forecast near-term and long-term portfolio productivity and proactively identify potential milestone gaps with recommendations for gap filling made well in advance
- Monitor portfolio progress and related milestones, including mitigation approaches
- Lead analysis of R&D portfolio including strategic and financial position relative to corporate goals; benchmark current and likely performance relative to peers
- Prepare synthesis of key R&D, Operations, and SG&A insights and recommendations to senior management
- Drive strategic leadership and expertise with respect to portfolio analytics and decision-making including interpretation of insights that facilitates trade-off discussions and buy-up decisions for new projects.
- Support strategic initiatives that enable R&D to improve productivity and execute on the vision of being an agile, patient-centric organization.
- Partner with the finance organization in the development and integration of an R&D strategic plan with the long-range forecast, mid-year commitment, and mid-range planning processes
- Develop and apply consistent portfolio management practices organization wide
- Perform in-depth strategic analysis of key R&D issues (e.g., multiple indications, unable to meet all decision criteria, etc.)
- Ensure consistent linkage between Strategic Plan, R&D prioritization, and Operating Plan
- Provide leadership around decision analysis serving as internal consultant to project teams
- MBA & BA/BS in business, marketing, finance, science/technology or other related field
- PhD/MD preferred; with experience working within a science-based organization/function
- 10 + years of experience in R&D project management, strategic planning, marketing and/or business development AND 5 years of management experience in the healthcare industry
- Strong analytical capabilities, including quantitative and qualitative assessment skills, and critical thinking skills
- Ability to distill complex issues and ideas down to simple comprehensible terms
- Functional level leadership with the ability to inspire, motivate and drive results
- Ability to interface and build credibility at all levels of the company
- Experience developing, implementing and leading business processes
- Advanced financial valuation and Decision Analysis experience
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Solid process and project management skills