Summary: This position reports to the Senior Vice President Salt and is responsible for all supply activities to include customer service, supply chain, logistics and the pricing function at Compass Minerals. This primarily involves the cost effective movement of bulk / rock salt, packaged salt products, sulfate of potash and specialty plant nutrition products from source locations through the distribution network, including truck, rail, barge, and vessel. Distribution is both customer-direct and through a network of warehouses and depots. This strategic leader will implement best practices across the organization and lead the supply chain team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Define integrated strategy and build processes across customer service, logistics, supply chain and the pricing functions that efficiently support the company’s supply chain network.
- Monitor and define customer service metrics in order to maximize customer experience and operational excellence.
- Provide vision and leadership to achieve continuous improvement and operational excellence
- Develop partnerships with significant suppliers and negotiate rates for shipping assets, and other department resources.
- Forecast labor needs and build processes and systems to improve labor efficiency for all logistics activities.
- Set long and short-range plans, policies, programs and objectives related to brokerage and the transportation network.
- Develop an annual operating budget and manage a system of controls to ensure that service levels and optional performance goals are met within prescribed cost, revenue and profit parameters
- Establish and own procedures for review and adjustment of pricing strategy, based on changing market landscape
- Oversee the negotiation of key contracts and third-party partnerships to minimize expense while providing world-class service to our customers(i.e., transportation, material handling, repair, and equipment maintenance)
- Own definition, review, and enforcement of pricing guardrails
- Provide framework for customer pricing contracts, to support Commercial teams and ensure consistency across regions
- Ensure efficient utilization of space, equipment and teams.
- Champion the digitization of supply chain collaboration through the implementation of advanced business tools and planning systems. (ERP, Scorecards)
- Directs internal and external policies and processes to ensure a supply chain system meets customer requirements, minimizes total supply chain cost, maximizes supply chain effectiveness including conforming to established quality standards, and established inventory flow that is responsive to the needs of the business.
- Provide executive oversight to clients and ensure professional and effective service is being delivered.
- Direct logistics compliance and physical security efforts.
- Drive performance optimization of logistics function.
- A Bachelor's degree in Operations, Logistics, Business, Management, or related field (MBA preferred)
- 10+ years of experience in global supply chain leadership role with responsibility to include pricing, customer service, and logistics functions.
- Experience applying advanced analytics for pricing
- Must be an independent strategic leader with demonstrated ability to lead by influence in a cross functional / matrix organization
- Extensive operations knowledge
- Strong business and financial acumen
- In depth knowledge and experience in multi-modal transportation solutions, including experience with warehouse and / or depot management and distribution system optimization
- Excellent contract management and negotiation skills
- Six Sigma and Lean experience preferred
- Inspirational leader; ability to understand, react, and motivate others to adapt to a changing environment.
- Professional values consistent with Compass Minerals values: Integrity – we operate in a fair and transparent manner, embracing the highest ethical standards in everything we do; Respect – we are committed to creating a diverse, safe and inclusive organization where all are treated with dignity; Collaboration – we accomplish more through cooperation and teamwork; Value Creation – we deliver the best possible results for our customers and shareholders in a manner that respects the resources entrusted to us; High Performance – we achieve excellence through initiative, accountability and superior results.