VICE PRESIDENT/SR. DIRECTOR PORTFOLIO ARCHITECT (FOUNDATIONAL TECHNOLOGIES)
Juniper is seeking a unique business and technology leader for the role of Portfolio Architect. The VP/Sr. Director Portfolio Architect reports to the SVP, Strategy and Product Management.
The Portfolio Architect is responsible for defining investment priorities and integration of critical enabling technologies across Juniper’s portfolio. The Portfolio Architect works closely with the Product Management teams to maximize the leverage of Juniper’s unique and differentiating technology across the entire portfolio in networking and security. The Portfolio Architect has the ability to ‘think differently” about the “cloud”.
The Portfolio Architect team reviews critical Horizon 1 and Horizon 2 trends and transitions in key enabling technologies. Working with the product management, engineering, and CTO teams, the portfolio architect defines Juniper’s investment roadmap for those technologies including: custom/ merchant silicon, embedded software (including Juniper’s JunOS operating system, APIs), management, automation, telemetry/ analytics, and optical technologies.
The Portfolio Architect will inspire a diverse and talented team to drive the maximum impact of Juniper’s foundational technologies into the product portfolio and return on invested capital. The role is viewed as a key leader insider Juniper at the intersection of strategy and technology. As a result, they will bring strong direct and boundary spanning leadership to the role.
KEY OBJECTIVES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with Product Management, Engineering, Strategy, and CTO to standardize use of technology across the portfolio and eliminate duplication of investment – examples would include avoiding CSO vs Contrail, telemetry and analytics
- Maximize leverage of available and differentiating technology in use cases/ domains
- Map technology transitions and work with the PLMs, Engineering, Mfg to make the investments to drive technology development and transition plans by use case/ product
- Work with Engineering and Mfg to drive commonality of platform design, technology re-use, COGs reduction and time to FRS reduction
- Work with Juniper internal teams to define operations and business systems requirements as key enablers for the Juniper technology stack
- Lead a team of up to 10 people with responsibility across product management, technical marketing and solution architecture functions
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
This VP/Sr. Director role requires the skills to enhance Juniper's role as an industry leader, and to envision and drive a world-class product and technologyportfolio, to exploit critical market transitions, and accelerate the overall return on the portfolioinvestments. This person thinks strategically, distills ideas to practical reality, and then works closely with the cross functional teams and oversees the execution to help achieve metrics and goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, or similar discipline
- MBA a plus
- 10 or more years of experience in product or portfolio management with annual revenues of $500M+
- 10 or more years of proven track record of actively managing a highly professional team
- Proven track record of developing a strategy and execution plan for multiple product lines across markets and geographies, and a strong track record of delivering revenue and margin growth
- A strong technical background with deep expertise in data center, cloud operations, architectures and business model, IT transformation and switching is mandatory, along with a strong understanding of related data center Fabric, Edge, Core, Interconnect and innovations in software, silicon, analytics and cloud
- Strong experience in high growth business management and fast paced product and technology transition---looking beyond switching and routing to the future build out of the “cloud”
- Ability to thoroughly analyze competitor products and business strategies, using those insights to anticipate competitive moves and market changes
- Ability to prioritize competing opportunities, balance market needs with business strategies and priorities, manage trade-offs and articulate the rationale behind decisions
- Brilliant customer focus, used to develop and validate product and business plans
- Strong experience with product lifecycles, from concept, product inception to end-of-life, with specific examples of managing challenging product transitions with demanding customers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Outstanding technical and business presentation skills for audiences that includes executives, partners, analysts, customers
- Experienced in outward facing marketing and analyst communications