Picarro is seeking a VP of Software Engineering. This is an amazing career development opportunity for the right individual to join a well-funded, growing company bringing truly transformative technology to new markets.
The ideal candidate will have experience in a hybrid (hardware and software) product environment as well as the ability to build a team as we are looking for someone with experience in fostering a great culture and attracting great talent to a high-performance team. Additionally, we are seeking a strong technology leader who has a proven track record of pushing innovation and success, can go in-depth technically on more than a few subjects but also has a strong business acumen when it comes to architecting and building high-performance software at scale. The right person has a can-do attitude, elevates others naturally, and is dedicated to building world-class software and teams. They love working in a collaborative environment where they can learn as well as teach. In short, they want to be challenged and have a huge impact on the future of the company.
- Be a visionary for innovative solutions to some tough technical challenges
- Partner with the VP of Hardware/Systems Engineering. Understand, respect, and appreciate the complexities of Cavity Ring Down Spectroscopy (CRDS) and how software can be applied to existing and future hardware to enhance the overall capability and value of our products
- At a minimum, be able to support software development in three business verticals—Science, Energy, and Semiconductors
- Lead, develop and grow the best engineering talent to create innovative, empowered teams that work with the product, hardware/systems engineering, and innovation teams to deliver great results
- Drive software engineering best practices not only within your teams but across the entire organization
- Ensure engineering understands business direction and how individual work facilitates end goals.
- Ensure company at large understands the needs of engineering. Clearly specify when technical debt must be addressed or infrastructure added and the cost of doing or not doing so.
- Establish framework for making impactful technical decisions. Empower engineers to innovate while providing technical expertise/targeted questions to make a decision that is best for the business.
- Embrace and evolve a culture of ownership, collaboration, quality, and fun
- Create the right balance of quality, architectural and design extensibility, time to market, and experimentation needed in a start-up.
- Establish a culture of quality where verification/validation occur at every step. Drive an architecture that facilitates quality and a process that enforces it.
- Make decisions and take actions that have a significant material impact on our customers and our business
- Collaborate with the executive team to address the multifaceted opportunities we face and create achievable growth plans
- Lead overall software development by planning and tracking all project progress
- Manage software development teams and gauge performance and goals for company and individuals
- Understand the goals of engineers and set them on a path towards achievement. Leverage intrinsic motivation to further both the individual and the business.
- Build the team with talented individuals that fit technically and culturally. Retain key hires.
- Ensure the effective operation of all systems, meeting service level metrics and maintaining data security
- Develop and maintain any software development policies/procedures including security objectives
- Direct any redesign/redevelopment efforts on existing software
- Work with Product Management to identify new features/products to meet customer needs
- 10+ years of hands-on leadership in agile development environment working on large scale SaaS software, including cloud-based media processing, hosting, and serving via both applications and APIs
- Proven experience in large data and data analytics—a key area of growth and the future focus of the Company
- 7+ years development team management experience
- Bachelor's Degree or MS degree (preferred) in Computer Science or technical discipline (or equivalent experience)
- Strong communication skills - ability to be an active participant in nuanced technical discussions as well as an ability to represent the platform/solution/challenge to a non-technical audience.
- Experience with various data management options/retrieval strategies/technologies.
- Comfortable and experienced managing within Agile/Scrum environment.
- Comfortable working and communicating with all levels of the organization, including senior executives and C level business partners.
- Continual assessment, refinement, maturation, implementation, and enforcement of engineering standards and best practices.
- Ability to voice a strong opinion and make business-oriented decisions. Keen ability to analyze tradeoffs to drive informed conclusions.
- Excellent interpersonal, communications, and people leadership skills
- Experience partnering with Product Management organization to drive value through technology innovation
- Thorough understanding of latest approaches to software architecture or ability to engage well with tech leads
- Ability to adapt and handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong knowledge of software development methodologies and best practices
- Track record of consistently achieving on product delivery, employee satisfaction, and retention
- Results oriented with a focus on delivering value for the customer