Our Client is an Established Industry Leader with over $150M in annual recurring revenues and 35+ years in business. After successfully acquiring a San Diego based startup four years ago, they are continuing to grow their San Diego team and are looking to enhance their leadership by hiring a new Vice President of Software Engineering. This person will lead high-performing teams who are building innovative, mission-critical systems for major Consumer Food and Retail Corporations around the globe.
The VP of Software Engineering will oversee software engineering and operations across multiple offices, instilling a culture of software engineering excellence that permeates throughout the organization. The ideal candidate will possess a strong background in software engineering and leadership, a solid work ethic, positive attitude, and willingness to help their team tackle any challenge that should come their way.
You'll enjoy the satisfaction of leading the creation of software that demands 24/7 uptime and is responsible for servicing millions of customer transactions every day. You'll need to bring experience developing robust, n-tier, multi-platform systems built primarily on .NET technology stack.
The software is comprised of numerous technology areas, including transaction processing, data analytics, reporting, workflow, inventory tracking, third party and hardware integration, which is all hosted in the cloud or private data centers.
This is a unique opportunity for an accomplished Technology Leader who loves the flexibility and nimbleness of a startup, but would like the stability, improved processes, and perks of a larger organization. You'll join a vibrant, transparent, and non-political Executive Team. If this sounds like your ideal role, we want to hear from you!
- Foster a culture of collaboration, accountability, ownership, innovation, trust, and the continuous drive toward excellence to promote teams to be empowered and operate autonomously to produce high quality results in minimal time
- Drive a culture of continuous improvements to efficiency and quality
- Work to move from a monolithic architecture to microservices
- Maintain highly cohesive and collaborative relationships with team members and other coworkers
- Lead by example, doing what is needed to get the job done, including being hands-on and extending beyond normal responsibilities
- Ensure that communication is flowing efficiently and effectively between groups and individuals, and across geographies and time zones, addressing deficiencies and conflicts
- Provide open and honest insight into the state of managed teams and team members to peers and upper levels of management
- Drive the identification and adoption of appropriate industry best practices, particularly those that address existing deficiencies
- Help formulate, refine, document, and enforce department standards, policies and procedures
- Manage projects as needed to ensure adherence to budget, schedule, and scope, while dynamically adjusting for any changes
- Push for the effective and timely resolution of urgent items
- Provide balance between business objectives and team's technical capabilities, and educate on and work to address possible gaps
- Educate teams on company objectives, establish strategies for meeting those objectives and lead teams to execute on those strategies
- Effectively manage to a budget, including ensuring proper forecasts during planning, making wise investments and preventing or eliminating unnecessary or low value spend
- Enforce that technical designs are consistently produced and vetted, to ensure that they are appropriate
- Acquire and maintain an in-depth understanding of the company's business, customers, policies, processes, and products, along with the technical aspects of those products, including the architectures and technologies behind them
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality concerning client's and customers' information
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
· Minimum of seven (7) years of experience leading complex agile software engineering projects and managing software teams with multiple managers and groups under them.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of software engineering experience
- Proven leadership, management, and collaboration skills across functional groups
- Proven ability to effectively manage multi-location software engineering teams
- Demonstrated track record of successfully hiring, managing, coaching and retaining world-class software engineers
- Ability to influence and achieve alignment across a range of different opinions and interests
- Open, honest, and trust-based approach to management and leadership
- Comfortable giving/receiving critical feedback to/from others, regardless of their position in the company
- Seek out, embrace, and evangelize positive change while concurrently executing short-term (tactical) and long-term (strategic) plans
- Ability to manage/prioritize multiple tasks and projects to meet deadlines
- Capable of communicating effectively in both technical and non-technical conversations
- Advocate of continuous integration, continuous deployment, and test-driven development
- Experience with large-scale, n-tier applications and up to date technical skills, preferably with C# and .NET
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills; Ability to herd cats; Proactive communication style; ability to question, clarify and document
- Bachelor's in Computer Science/Engineering or a related field required. Graduate degrees in IT, Computer Science, Engineering or MBA highly preferred
Compensation: $200K - $245K base + bonus & benefits package (DOE)