The SCI Underwriting Center Manager is primarily responsible for the execution of center strategies to achieve growth, profit and service goals through effective day to day management of staff, underwriting processes and marketing and relationship management. The Underwriting Center Manager reports directly to the Small Commercial Insurance COO.
The Underwriting Center Manager will be responsible for bringing the diverse elements of the organization together to meet the needs of our small commercial customers by ensuring business results, producer relationships, staff development and operational effectiveness through the following specific activities:
Interacting regularly with Regional Vice Presidents, Field Territory Sales Leads, branch managers and Commercial Insurance managers to discuss trends in books of business and producer issues. Travel to branches and producers as needed.
Presenting a unified, cohesive and consistent Chubb front for all small commercial accounts, and account transactions, managed in the Underwriting Centers (Simsbury, Charlotte, and Phoenix).
Direct Reports include the 3 Underwriting Center Managers.
The SCI Underwriting Center Manager will be responsible for providing leadership and direction for many critical business functions including: planning and budgeting, operations strategy, employee recruitment, retention and development of staff; including performance management and team building. In addition, the incumbent will be responsible for:
- Underwriting process and workflows
- Customer service levels and best practices to drive value
- Training programs and staff development plans to create a learning organization
- Manage staffing levels and balance day-today to workloads
- Determine operational strategies, identify technologies and process enhancement that can drive these,
- Establish technical specifications for all staff levels, and production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards;
- Develop organization and operational metrics to contribute information and analysis to organizational strategic plans and reviews.
- Communicating and coordinating with internal departments
- Ensure adherence to Underwriting standards, compliance, and internal audit requirements
- Act as an escalation point for customer (agent) issues and ensure timely resolution
- Develop strong working relationships with Product line management, Operations, and Field Sales team.
- Assures the maintenance of underwriting integrity through education and an effective self-audit process.
Knowledge & Skills:
The incumbent must demonstrate advanced leadership competencies. They must also have an excellent understanding of branch/underwriting center operations including: strong administrative skills, experience managing producer and agency relationships, such as developing and managing a cohesive underwriting operational strategy; and a broad understanding of industry issues, products, appetites, distribution, regulatory oversight, and compliance. The candidate must also possess technical underwriting expertise including proven skills in strategically managing commercial property and casualty issues
- Experience in developing, implementing and continuously improving key underwriting processes so as to improve underwriting productivity and efficiency. Credibility with product managers is important to ensure the success of underwriting process improvements.
- Strong underwriting book management skills to ensure the ability to identify key attributes of the underwriting center’s book that presents opportunities for us to further streamline our underwriting process in other segments of the commercial book. Additionally, proven ability to spot negative trends and implement the necessary corrective actions.
- Strong leadership skills with a track record of success in leading, coaching and developing underwriting talent. Particular emphasis is placed on the proven ability to collaborate with branch managers, executive field underwriters, underwriting, operations, marketing, human resources and home office managers to identify priorities and execute strategies to achieve US Field and NACI goals.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent relevant work experience
- Prior experience as a Senior Level Field or Home Office Small Commercial Underwriting Manager is strongly preferred.
- Strong analytical skills
- Strategic and creative thinking