The VP, SBA Portfolio Manager is responsible for the underwriting and on-going portfolio management of their assigned portfolio of primarily complex SBA clients/relationships. Working closely with borrowers, Client Managers, and Senior Credit Administrators, the PM leads the underwriting and credit approval process and has an active role in working with Loan Processing and Servicing teams to coordinate loan documentation and boarding. For on-going portfolio management, the PM partners with junior level Portfolio Analysts to monitor clients’ financial performance and financial condition including the completion of annual reviews and recommendation of changes in risk rating.
- Work with Client Managers and sales staff to screen new SBA loan package submissions for eligibility and appropriate loan structure including completion of prescreen and letters of interest for review and approval by Credit Administration.
- Interact closely with Client Managers and borrowers/prospects to ensure the highest level of relationship management.
- Review, analyze, and complete underwriting packages for loan approval and recommend and present credit approvals to Senior Credit Administrators and Senior Chief Credit Officer for approval.
- Provide timely and accurate financial, industry, and credit analysis in support of approvals, renewals, and modifications.
- Work proactively to accurately monitor and assess risk within assigned portfolio including the completion of Problem LoanReports and Annual Reviews.
- Process 504 interim loan payoffs. Coordinate documentation and approvals with related CDCs.
- Monitor assigned loan maturities and delinquencies for extension or transfer to Special Credits. Prepare forms and approval packages as needed.
- Ensure compliance with all credit policies, guidelines, and regulatory requirements.
- Provide training and coaching to junior Portfolio Managers and Portfolio Analysts.
- Responsible for adherence to all compliance programs, including but not limited to, completion of all required and assigned training modules by established due dates.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibility
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in both verbal and written forms.
- Excellent credit analysis and accounting skills with ability to analyze and recommend loans that meet the Bank’s credit standards.
- Works well independently and with teams.
- Excellent organizational & time management skills with an ability to multi-task.
- Understanding of financial and cost accounting principles
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office desktop applications
- Strong knowledge of the bank's deposit and payments products
- Ability to travel as needed, occasionally overnight
- Strong knowledge of banking policies and procedures and relevant regulatory guidelines with a focus on SBA Guidelines and SOPs.
- Experience with modifications and renewals of existing loans.
- Must be proficient in a windows environment, i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Ability to travel locally as needed, occasionally overnight.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Business or Finance, or MBA, is ideal; plus 7+ years of related experience and/or training with an emphasis on SBA underwriting; or equivalent combination of education and experience.