The Vice President of Payroll is responsible for the leadership of the entire payroll function for over 25,000 associates in the United States. In this role, you will provide operational, managerial, and strategic direction for the payroll function of VCA Inc. and subsidiaries. You will be responsible for setting the payroll strategy for the company as well as developing and enhancing payroll policies and procedures to ensure accuracy and efficiency. VCA is looking for a VP of Payroll who will cultivate a strong team within a customer-focused environment with an emphasis on driving accurate and timely payroll results, in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Strategic oversight and overall accountability for payroll processing to ensure accurate and timely payroll processing in compliance with all legal regulations and requirements.
- Drive process standardization, automation, and improvement, and collaborate with different stakeholders to ensure process efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensure compliance with all corporate and country-specific policies and procedures, and ensure continuous improvement, being up to date on legislation, on new technologies, or on best practices.
- Develop and implement best practices, key performance indicators, and service level agreement metrics for the department.
- Collaborate and partner withHR, Audit, IT, Tax and Accounting to evaluate policy changes, review cross-departmental impacts, address payroll system needs, and reconcile data. Partner with the Benefits team to ensure accurate and compliant deductions from associates’ wages for taxes, wage garnishment, health and life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and 401k investments.
- Analyze complex transactions, identify issues, and work withinternal teams to identify causes, assess risks, and implement plans to eliminate future occurrence.
- Oversee all operations related to Payroll and Time & Attendance self-service functionality, including training and updates.
- Ensure timely communication of changes to payroll policies, systems, and regulations to associates.
- Management (both direct and indirect) of thepayrollteam.
- Establish priorities, goals, and deliverables for the Payroll department.
- Ensure a collaborative and supportive team culture built on mutual trust and respect.
- Ensure team members are sufficiently trained to meet established service standards; cross-train team members to promote a flexible and adaptable team.
- Act as a liaison to VCA Inc. subsidiaries for all payroll administration.
- Other related duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of applicable payrolltaxes, laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated leadership experience (ability to supervise, mentor, train, and develop a team), as well as the ability to manage diverse resources in a deadline-driven environment and create a culture of trust, strong collaboration, and professional development to create a high-performing team.
- Accurate and efficient in a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to understand and implement policies and procedures.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working with complex payrollprocesses and ability to solve problems in an ever changing environment.
- Able to maintain total confidentiality and discretion.
- Advanced skills with MS Office Suite.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Minimal travel may be required.
Qualifications (Education & Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum) in Business, Accounting, or Finance.
- Experience in managing a large multi-state/multi-company payroll with 10,000+ employees required.
- Minimum of 10-15 years of professional work experience in payroll.
- Minimum of 8 years management experience.
- Strong leadership skills, including leading, coaching, developing and inspiring a team, setting team goals, measuring success and communicating achievements.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) Certification from the American Payroll Association preferred.
- Experience with Workday Payrollpreferred.
- Experience with Dayforce Time & Attendance preferred.