This position will support "Creighton University Medical Center-Bergan Mercy" campus. This campus is an Academic Medical Center, Level 1 Trauma Center and Tertiary Care Center located in Omaha, Nebraska.
Contributes to the fulfillment of the CHI Health mission and vision by serving as a designated administrative leader for CHI Health programs and services in the community. Responsible for planning, organizing, implementing and directing resources in assigned operational areas. Serves as a role model for ethical management behavior and promotes an awareness and understanding of positive ethical and moral principles consistent with the Mission, Vision, Pledge and Commitments of CHI Health.
The incumbent is the VP Patient Care Services for his/her assigned campus within the Operations Division reporting to the campus Vice President & Chief Operating Officer with matrix reporting to the Senior Executive. The incumbent works collaboratively with all CHI Health Leadership executives to achieve CHI Health goals and objectives.
The individual serving in this role functions in an interlocking matrix environment with responsibility across the entire system and continuum for Nursing Practice through his/her membership on the Nursing Council. The Nursing Council has accountability for the integration of nursing systems for CHI Health.
This role can only be fulfilled through a collaborative working relationship with each member of the management team and the Nursing Council. The VP Patient Care Services maintains direct responsibility for Nursing Practice on assigned campus. In addition, the incumbent works collaboratively with medical staff, community leaders, agencies and payors to carry out the goals and objectives for the defined service population. A key role of this position is to build strong relationships with physicians and employees for CHI Health and to achieve high levels of patient and customer satisfaction.
The VP Patient Care Services maintains direct operational responsibility for specific departments and programs on an assigned campus:
Additional direct management responsibilities and/or consultative responsibilities may be assigned from time to time as appropriate to carry out the objectives of the Operations division and/or to provide smooth operations on the campus assigned. The incumbent also maintains a matrix management responsibility for all other nursing care areas located at his/her assigned hospital.
The incumbent works closely with service lines, providing consultative services and coordination in order to further the strategic objectives of the service lines.
STANDARDS OF CARE:
1. The VP Patient Care Services develops, maintains, and evaluates patient/resident/client and staff data collection systems and processes to support the practice of nursing and delivery of patient/resident/client care.
2. The VP Patient Care Services develops, maintains, and evaluates a culturally-sensitive environment that supports the professional nurse in analysis of assessment data and in decisions to determine relevant diagnoses.
3. The VP Patient Care Services develops, maintains, and evaluates information processes
that promote desired client-centered outcomes.
4. The VP Patient Care Services develops, maintains, and evaluates organizational planning systems to facilitate the delivery of nursing care.
5. The VP Patient Care Services develops, maintains, and evaluates organizational systems that support implementation of Nursing’s strategic plans.
6. The VP Patient Care Services evaluates the plan and its progress in relation to the attainment of outcomes.
STANDARDS OF PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCE:
7. The VP Patient Care Services systematically evaluates the quality and effectiveness of
nursing practice and nursing services administration.
8. The VP Patient Care Services evaluates his/her own performance based on professional
practice standards, relevant statutes and regulations, and organizational criteria with input from peers and direct reports.
9. The VP Patient Care Services acquires and maintains current knowledge in administrative practice.
10. The VP Patient Care Services fosters a professional environment.
11. The VP Patient Care Service’s decisions and actions are based on ethical principles.
12. The VP Patient Care Services collaborates with nursing staff at all levels, interdisciplinary
teams, executive officers, and other stakeholders.
13. The VP Patient Care Services supports research and integrates it into the delivery of
nursing care and nursing administration.
14. The VP Patient Care Services evaluates and administers the human and fiscal resources of organized nursing services.
15. The VP Patient Care Services participates in the credentialing process for advance practice nurses.
16. Complies with internal and external regulations, policies, and procedures. Participates in achieving nursing division goals and supports shared governance structure.
17. Participates in all safety, security and infection control programs that are mandatory as well as those required and provided by the department.
18. Demonstrates work practices consistent with CHI Health and department-specific safety, security and infection control policies.
19. Authorized to make entries in the medical record, consistent with and limited to the scope of the job duties and any applicable licensure.
20. Must have ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a diverse and multi-cultural environment.
21. Completes annual and six-month performance review assessments within proper scope of judgment and accountability. Note: if the manager does not possess the same background licensure as their clinical staff members, they must have peer reviews completed for staff members to ensure clinical competence is met and validated.
1. Has the authority to interview, hire, orient, terminate, promote, train and conduct performance evaluations.
2. Assigns day-to-day work activities; directs the functional and technical job performance of team members.
3. Allocates and directs staffing needs to meet patient, unit/department and organizational needs and collaborates with others to ensure overall staffing needs are met.
4. Manages performance including: setting goals, clarifying job expectations, monitoring performance progress, providing feedback, recognizing performance, developing skills and addressing performance issues related to work and our Commitments using corrective action.
1. Participates in all safety, security and infection control programs that are mandatory as well as those required and provided by the department.
2. Demonstrates work practices consistent with CHI Health and department-specific safety, security and infection control policies.
3. Must have ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a diverse and multi-cultural environment.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the essential functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Minimum of five (5) years of progressive experience in nursing leadership, with evidence of involvement in professional organizations, community affairs and regional professional nursing activities is preferred.
Requires minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree and a Master’s Degree, one of which must be in nursing. The incumbent must hold a Registered Nurse license in either the state of Nebraska or Iowa. Nebraska and Iowa are compact states, so the license must be in the state of residence. Certification in Nursing Administration or area of clinical expertise is highly recommended.
Strong knowledge/application of nursing practice and systems framework, excellent strategic thinking skills, demonstrated resource management and stewardship skills, strong abilities in total quality management and continuous quality improvement concepts, strong team orientation, strong customer-focus, demonstrated ability to lead/implement change activities, demonstrated skills in influencing through relationships, excellent analytical thinking skills and excellent oral and written communication skills.