The mission of the VP of Innovation will be to help guide the investments that we make in new products, ensuring that as we allocate resources towards innovation we deploy the best practices proven to improve the commercial success of our innovation efforts. In addition, the Innovation leader will lead the effort to develop and execute the Smart Connected Equipment effort for the Packaging Platform.
Build the competencies and processes within the Packaging Platform required to position BW Packaging as a source of innovative packaging equipment and systems that solves customers’ challenges and advances their business objectives.
As a member of the Packaging Systems leadership team, the VP of Innovation will be responsible for working with each of the 5 divisions as well as with the Strategic Marketing team to develop an Innovation Roadmap for the platform. Key responsibilities will include:
- Develop a community of experts across the platform to accelerate divisional development by leveraging the collective insights of talent across the platform.
- Developing deep competence in translating market needs into product line strategies across the platform
- Helping teams prioritize and execute projects that will maximize the ROI on our innovation investment
- Guiding efforts to standardize product lines incorporating customer requirements as well as DFM principles
- Establishing best practices for capturing the allocation of engineering hours.
- Building the strategy and architecture for the platform’s initiative to deliver incremental value through smart connected equipment.
- Work with platform and division marketing teams to develop commercialization plans
- Develop reporting metrics and communicate regularly with divisions and platform leaders on the progress of initiatives.
- Help identify acquisition opportunities who possess technology that is synergistic to BW Packaging Systems.
- Must have 15years’ experience in the packaging industry with at least 5years in an equipment development/innovation role.
- Exceptional communication skills. Must have excellent presentation skills, but also a thorough, consistent and effective communicator with internal teams and customer teams.
- Strong strategic thinker - able to synthesize customer/market strategies, competitive technologies and internal competencies to help shape the priorities and investments across the platform.
- Solid understanding of the opportunities, technologies and business models relevant to Smart Connected Equipment and the ability to shape and guide a program for the platform
- Willingness and ability to lead by influence - to coach and to guide
- Significant travel (domestic and international) required
- Collaborative philosophy