Our mission is to connect humans through universal communication solutions shaped by cultural experiences. We are a Deaf-owned, Deaf-operated, and FCC-certified company. We are seeking a motivated and talented individual for the role of Vice President of Engineering.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we welcome everyone to our team. If you need accommodations during the application or interview process, please let us know.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use.
Our Company redefines what it means to give back, we are all about elevating our community to new heights, and this is not possible without people who share the same passion for our culture and identity. If you feel we’re the place for you, then join us to make a difference!
We are looking for an experienced VP of Engineering to manage a diverse development team. The responsibilities of a VP of Engineering include leading a team of developers and engineers, collaborating with product managers, and improving company policies and standards.
The successful VP of Engineering will be an experienced technical leader with domain knowledge in building scaled, distributed architecture, is operationally strong, and has a proven track record of delivery and organizational development. You will have experience scaling organizations and engineering in a fast-changing, complex environment. From a leadership perspective, you should be comfortable guiding an organization through change and driving a technical vision. From a coaching perspective, you should be comfortable rolling up your sleeves working with all levels of management and engineers providing guidance and mentorship.
- Establish credibility and rapport with senior leaders and technical and non-technical team members alike.
- Build large-scale technology and high-performing applications that are reliable, scalable, and secure.
- Recruit, build-out, and lead a high-performance software engineering team towards delivering a world-class software services platform.
- Develop our Technology Culture: ie, standards and processes, and ensure their adherence.
- Develop standards and procedures to ensure that quality standards are met and consistent.
- Develop goals for the team and work to ensure they achieve them.
- Estimate and optimize development budgets as needed.
- Assist Leads/Architects in the architecture of new microservices, data schemas, and API architectures in a complex SaaS environment.
- Recommend technological developments and improvements on efficiency.
- Participate in and contribute to the development, execution, and achievement of the company’s overall strategy.
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management to the Engineering organization including 1-on-1 meetings with all direct reports, weekly/monthly all-hands engineering meetings, and mentoring day-to-day to develop the next generation of technical leaders.
- Oversee and manage a diverse team of engineers across multiple time zones.
- Report outcomes and recommend people/process changes to the CTO.
- Stay current on best practices, the latest development tools, and the best design standards.
- History of strong leadership to drive recruiting, building, and growing engineering organizations at scale with people who are geographically distributed across the globe.
- Track record of building and deploying mission-critical, highly distributed, large scale SaaS applications.
- Engineering degree or equivalent industry experience.
- Minimum 5+ years of experience leading development teams in a SaaS environment.
- Minimum 10+ years of experience making a significant individual contribution to real-world software development.
- Proficient in Application Life Cycle Management tools such as Atlassian JIRA (preferably), Continuous Integration tools such as Bitrise, Jenkins, TeamCity, Source Code Management using Git.
- Strong organizational leadership skills.
- Extensive experience in working with stakeholders to create hiring strategies to develop quality teams.
- Experience in recruiting Engineers and contributors.
- Previous working experience in software design and developing customer-orientated platforms.
- Must be knowledgeable about industry trends, best practices, and change management.
- Passion for automation and efficiency.
- Hands-on experience in building data application pipelines.
- Strong understanding of analytics.
- Fluent in American Sign Language (ASL).
- Familiarity in Deaf culture.