The VP, Marketing & Business Development will be responsible for implementing a dynamic marketing and producer management strategy for a growing excess and surplus lines company with an emphasis on enhancing the value of our client and producer relationships and developing additional profitable business. The VP, Marketing & Business Development will work with internal stakeholders to oversee product-related messaging, communications, and campaigns that specifically drive the uptake and expansion of our extensive product suite.
A key focus for the role will be to ideate, develop, and project manage marketing content and sales support materials, ensuring our product messages resonate with customers, grab their attention, inform/educate effectively, and reflect a consistent and evolving story about Verus. We are looking for someone who can understand complex concepts and communicate them authentically to various audiences via an array of messaging channels.
- Monitor, analyze, and evaluate consumer behavior, producer and competitor activity, product performance and customer and producer feedback to identify market opportunities for products/services, new product ideas, identify product/service features needing to be changed to meet customer needs.
- Identify, design and implement marketing strategies for the various product lines, encompassing new products and services, identification and selection of target markets, agency appointment management and tailored / unique coverages.
- Review marketing results continuously and measure progress in achieving agency/carrier objectives.
- Responsible for overall relationship management with excess and surplus lines agency community including development of new appointments and management of terminations, new business unit expansions and contractions, enhancement of distribution platform and providing training and support to underwriters in conducting agency visitation and overall agency management.
- Communicate our risk appetites / product information and target classes of business with producers.
- Provide direction, support and marketing guidance to Product Line Leaders (Underwriting).
- Provide leadership by example by maintaining personal accessibility to the producers.
- Manage implementation of CRM, training and onboarding of new producers and supporting the company processes to result in improved quality and quantity of new business appointments, improved pipeline, new business growth and retention.
- Deliver innovative strategies that build compelling user experiences to drive customer acquisition and engagement.
- Oversee the Marketing Communications Specialist to design marketing campaigns and sales collateral for the products/services that are consistent, effective and appropriate for the target audience.
- Serve as liaison for key internal departments; manage their day-to-day marketing and agency management activities and needs.
- Will work with internal clients to synthesize complex subject matter into clear messaging points.
- Manage ongoing analysis of producer tiers and drill down to perform strategic and financial analysis to identify producer opportunity areas, determine relevant company positioning to capture those opportunities, prioritize producer relationship, identify appropriate areas for investment (events, sponsorships, incentives, relationship management), and define action plans, to drive growth and retention.
- Lead strategic projects as required, working with cross-functional stakeholders to drive improvements to the experience of our producer partners.
- Support producer communication by scheduling and implementing; Seminars, Webinars, Virtual meetings to include: one on one virtual appointments, virtual social engagements and other creative social interactions to drive new business.
The VP, Marketing & Business Development must be highly organized, able to learn quickly, and be detail-oriented. The ideal candidate should have prior experience in marketing, brand management, sales enablement, market intelligence, customer experience, or similar roles. In addition:
- Bachelor’s Degree or 10 years of underwriting, agency/producer relationship or relevant insurance experience
- Demonstrated success of marketing strategy development and implementation.
- Strong project management and organizational skills; must be highly organized and able to work efficiently on multiple projects to meet tight deadlines and changing priorities
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills; ability to distill complex concepts into language that is understandable and compelling to business decision makers
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal communication skills are critical
- Familiarity with the property and casualty and excess & surplus lines insurance industry and internal workflows preferred
- Willingness to travel up to 40% of the time, when current pandemic environment subsides