On July 1, AgStar Financial Services, Badgerland Financial and 1st Farm Credit Services joined together as Compeer Financial, strengthening our commitment to the agricultural community. Title: VP Legislative Affairs Office Location: Sun Prairie, WI, Normal, IL, or Apple Valley, MN Position Overview: The primary purpose of this position is to lead and direct Compeer’s legislative affairs at the state and national level in order to influence legislation and regulation impacting Compeer’s operations, marketplace and client success. Responsibilities include building and maintaining relationships with congressional delegations and their staff, with state legislators/officials and their staff, at the national and state levels. Responsibilities also include identifying potential areas of strategic impact, determining Compeer’s position and priority on issues, identifying partners for campaigns and efforts, and establishing and tracking measures of success. Incumbent is responsible for developing and implementing a strategic communications plan relative to Compeer’s legislative efforts. Successful candidates will:
- Legislative Affairs: Represents Compeer Financial in Washington, D.C., St. Paul, MN, Madison, WI and Springfield, IL. Maintains contacts with legislators, executive branch officials and staff, as well as the leadership of farm, bank and other stakeholder organizations. Develops and implements legislative strategy. Researches, analyzes and monitors legislative developments of importance to Farm Credit System institutions. Provides regular reports on legislative developments. Serves as a liaison with national Farm Credit Council. Coordinates in-house legislative activity. Facilitates the policy development process of the organization on legislative issues. Communicates on a regular basis with Members of Congress on legislative developments.
- Reporting & Updating: Apprises CEO, Executive Leadership Team, Senior Leaders and Board of Directors of political and legislative developments that may affect Farm Credit System institutions in general and Compeer in particular.
- Communications: Makes recommendations that define the organizations position on specific issues. Develops testimony, talking points, background papers, and other communications designed to bring the Association’s message to congress, state legislatures, regulatory agencies, industry groups and elsewhere and recommend appropriate responses. Works closely with internal and external stakeholders on key industry issues impacted by legislative action.
- Political Action Committee: Coordinates all activities of the Political Action Committee (PAC) program in which Compeer participates.
- Relationship Management: Maintain effective relationships with key agriculture, banking and cooperative organizations. Meets with legislative committees of other allied organizations regarding Farm Credit, agricultural and other rural America issues.
Minimum qualifications & required knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in a business administration, political science or government related field.
- Master’s degree in Government or Public Administration desired.
- Seven to ten years of progressively responsibleexperience in legislative affairs and in the formulation and execution of legislative strategies and activities.
- Must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills with a high degree of tact and diplomacy, as well as a broad network of contacts.
- Special knowledge required of agriculture, Farm Credit and rural issues, as well as an understanding of governmental processes - in particular the rules, procedures and dynamics of Congress, the Executive branch and the regulatory process.
- Knowledge of campaignfinance law, as well as regulations governing the operation of Political Action Committees, is required.
- Excellent organizational, negotiation, conflict resolution, problem solving, and project management skills.
- Must possess solid computer skills, preferably with MS Office.
- Valid driver’s license
Compeer Financial, headquartered in Sun Prairie, WI, exists to champion the hopes and dreams of rural America like never before. If you are interested in empowering those in agriculture and rural communities to achieve their goals and expand their possibilities, we invite you to learn more about our organization. We are looking for innovative, dynamic and collaborative team members to join our team.
In March, 2019 the Apple Valley, MN and Northfield, MN Compeer offices will combine and move to a new office location in Lakeville, MN
We offer great benefits including:
- Competitive base salary
- Health insurance benefits (medical, dental, vision, etc.)
- 401k (3% Compeer contribution & up to an additional 6% match)
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Educational assistance
- Training and development programs